question on battery life of mp3 players
Aug 28, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
what I mean is what is the lifespan of the actual battery before it dies for good and thus requiring me to buy a new player?

It depends on battery chemistry (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Li-Ion, Li-Pol etc), profile of use, cells manufacturer, and what do you call "dies".
On average, Li-Ion cells capacity will decrease on 10% after 100 power cycles.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Up to a handful years.
Example - My 1G iPod nano is still running quite fine after 5 years. Battery capacity dropped to about 60%, but it still last 4-5 hours of playback.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 6
If you take care of it, it should be fine.

My 1st gen ipod touch's battery lasts about 40 minutes on straight playback but that's because I rarely ever turned it off since the 2 and something years I had it. I just put it to sleep even when I went to sleep because I didn't get into the habit of turning the touch off. The fact that my speaker dock was always charging it when it was playing didn't help either.

On the other hand, my sony walkman, NW-E505, still last around 30 hours after 3 something years.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 6
As far as i understand it, in terms of power cycles, Li-ion cells are known to have very high power cycle ability. Unless overcharging occurs, it will retain its battery lifespan for a very long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back