Question in Pinna Gain
Dec 13, 2020 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sam L

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All, I have a couple nagging questions that might seem kind of silly as I've been interacting with my measuring equipment these last few months.

1. Pinna Gain in IEMs.
I know that the traditional approach (harman) of adding gain from 1k to 3k is referred to as "pinna gain," but why is this so with IEMs when the pinna is bypassed? I guess this is more of a question of semantics as I do recognize that the ear canal does have a first resonance point at 3k.

2. Concha Gain.
Am I correct in understanding that this resonance area is around 6k or so? Are there any general observations as to what the relationship between the concha and "pinna" gain looks like for "good" sound? Maybe, the compensating 6k peak is generally 3 to 7dB less than the pinna gain, for example.

3. 10khz behavior.
I recall hearing Tyll describe, for headphones, that 10k measurements should be roughly where 1k measures at. Thoughts?

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 4
The Harman target is aiming for subjective preference. If you're looking for acoustic and measurements, this is not it. If you're looking for an averaged of preferred target, this might be your best bet. While real acoustic and personal preference will logically and hopefully find some common grounds, it's important not to confuse them and rely on a subjective curve to explain objective measurements.

here is a popular graph(not just because I spam it everywhere:wink: ), giving some idea of the frequency response impact that different parts of the body have on incoming sounds:
Ear-resonance.jpg

From this paper: https://www.audiology.org/sites/default/files/journal/JAAA_08_06_06.pdf

Of course different people have different body shapes and sizes, so this should really serve as a rough estimate of the mechanisms at play. With a sound source coming from a different direction you'd get a different graph(see HRTF).
Someone with a different ear canal wouldn't get a first resonance at 2.7kHz like shown in the graph. Let's say I have a longer than average ear canal, then using the oversimplified closed tube model like they do at first in the paper, we get that the resonance frequency is related to 1 over the length of the tube(ear canal). So even without bothering with calculus and the speed of sound, we immediately get that a longer ear canal will have a first resonance at a lower frequency(first because we also get a boost at odd harmonics, 3X, 5X the first frequency for an actual tube, it might be higher for a real ear and that could be why some couplers show boost where you don't hear one at all).
And because of the shape and size of my ear canal, the amplitude of the boost might also be different.
And so on and so forth, you get the idea. Different people will be used to hearing external sounds more or less in their very own ways with their own custom frequency response. they still for the most part have 1 head 2 ears, etc. So I keep insisting about custom, but obviously that customization still follows main directions common to most humans. Sorry if I seem to constantly contradicting myself because of that, I don't know another way to present it.

Now to try answering some of your questions about what to aim for as "good" IEM FR. When you put an IEM into the ear canal, you send sound from a source that bypasses a bunch of those natural filters applied by our body. For audio to feel somehow more natural, we'll probably wish for a signature at the eardrum that comes close to what we're used to hearing from real people and instruments at some distance around us. And to oversimplify again, perhaps to a fault, this likely is why you'll want IEMs that have those changes baked in their signature. It's also why we don't want or expect a flat RAW response into an ear simulator(not even in an actual simple tube+mic, because it will still at the very least act like a close tube and resonate at some freqs). The measurement rig you use will also impact the final FR in that way and others, making it perhaps harder to even know what we're getting on the graph of a cheap rig like those I have.

In short, it's easy to make generously vague models for the right FR, but it's a real PITA the moment you try to become more accurate. I hope that with this I've shared some of my famous optimism.
If the previous paper and the many others on those subjects are not your thing(yet), you can join in here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ety...phone-for-your-ears-and-your-couplers.908512/ and see how we often try to reinvent the IEM-measurement-wheel between curious but not so well informed amateurs. The tour for the er2se is still on if you're interested in checking your rig with what the others got when measuring the same IEM.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Their target curve is based on subjective data of how a 'good' room ""should"" sound. Their curve depends too much on the interpretation of different subjects and their different head/ear sizes and shapes. Even considering the methods used to measure headphones and IEMs, there is no standard ear model that is used across the industry, and the variation between rigs is too large to consider standardized. Never put all your faith into one of the curves, since these change a lot and the methodologies are not completely established yet.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 4
The Harman curve is just a starting point. Use your own ears to fine tune it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back