Question - How to use my Fiio E11
Oct 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CirrusPilot

Head-Fier
Hi all - after trying a number of headphones (ATs, AKG, Beyers, etc) I finally found my perfect headphone, the Sony MDR 7506. I love these things. I know they are pretty efficient, but I went ahead and bought a Fiio E11 anyway. Did I just waste my money? Am i going to hear any difference with the amp vs. driving them directly from my iPod/Macbook? I never had the problem of having to turn my iPod all the way up to be able to hear the music on these headphones, so I am wondering if the amp serves any other purpose. 

Further, assuming I didn't waste my money on the amp, what is the best way to use it? Does it work better to use Line Out on the iPod, or just go direct form the 3.5mm jack? SInce it isn't a DAC, I didn't think the Line Out made a difference. Also, what do you set the volume to on the iPod? Should I keep it lower and compensate with the amp, or does it even matter?

Thanks for the help!

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 2
You will want to use a LOD with the ipod. It's the only way to bypass the ipods internal amp. As far as I know the headphone jack on the ipod does not provide line out.
As far as needing the amp.... Since you already bought it just try it and see.
What I noticed with using amps, even with sensitive IEMs, is that it tightens the bass up. Gives it a little more snap if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back