Question for you fellow protein-fruit-smoothie-makers
Jul 14, 2010 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Headphoneus Supremus

I need ideas for a good brand/type/whatever of protein powder?

DO WANT:

-- Amino Acids (required)

-- Whey Protein (required)

-- Others such as Egg Protein etc

DO NOT WANT:

-- Soy Protein (even a small amount)

-- Vitamins/Minerals - I eat healthily and take a multivitamin.

Go!

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 17

Others such as Egg Protein etc

Why not just drink 3 crack eggs every morning, with redbull
smile.gif

i don't know if its really healthy but eww god that's gross and im quite skeptical about it i only see it on the movies and my creepy roommate does it before 

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 17

That's a good idea if you want to die from kidney and adrenal failure :p  (re: the Redbulls)

I've done the raw egg thing, it's not as gross as you might think, but definitely isn't for me , either.

Quote:

Others such as Egg Protein etc

Why not just drink 3 crack eggs every morning, with redbull
smile.gif

i don't know if its really healthy but eww god that's gross and im quite skeptical about it i only see it on the movies and my creepy roommate does it before 

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Jul 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 17
I don't think I wanna do whole milk because of the saturated fat.  Although I agree, whole milk is pretty awesome for such purposes, independent of being dairy and high-fat content :)

Currently i've been using organic soy milk(s, mix it up using different brands) because it's very high protein, doesn't have potential for gas or any weirdness like dairy can, and has almost no fat.  Hence though why I don't want a Soy Protein Isolate powder, i'm probably already having like 50g of soy portein a day :wink:

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 17
I don't want to be a thread-jacker, but I got to agree with Kirosia here: Fat isn't everything you've been raised to believe. Read Gary Taubes's "Good Calories, Bad Calories."

What I would do: Combine half-and-half (or coconut milk for vegans) and peanut butter (the kind with no added oil) in a blender. Heck, you could just use whole peanuts and create your own instant peanut butter. We could add roasted cacao beans (they sell them at Whole Foods) and make it dark chocolate peanut butter (lots of antioxidants in cacao). Drink it or put it in an ice cream maker and create healthy ice cream.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Don't buy into marketing. Buy the cheapest protein of the type you want with a taste you can manage.

This said :

http://www.trueprotein.com/

Used them when they opened up, bought a 50 lbs bag of no flavor and it was a lot of cheaper then than now (140$ for the bag). Word of advice, do not buy no flavor whey protein.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 17
Why's that?

Quote:
Word of advice, do not buy no flavor whey protein.

And those of you talking about fat, I don't care about it clogging my arteries or whatever, that's not what I meant.  I've eaten whatever I want, whenever I want, in whatever portions I want my whole life, and i'm healthy and all my physicals come back OK.  What I am referencing is that I want to lose weight -- contrary to what the above may make you think, i'm not obese, but i am not very active and am on meds that make me retain water, so i weight 205-210 and i'd like to weigh 175 or under.  So, by using things like soymilk as the "base" for my blends, instead of things like whole milk (which is indeed delicious and filling) i have a lot less fat in my diet, and whether you want to believe it or not, i've lost almost 30 pounds just frmo that.  no excersizing.  and i feel great.  i have gone "mostly-vegetarian" and am losing more weight than i ever lost excersizing.

Anyway i'm not doing the Milk And Peanut Butter thing, those get really gross to me after a while.  fruit is yummy.  that's why lately i will do (for example)

1 green banana
1-2 cups frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen mango
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
3 cups soymilk
2 scoops protein powder

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
am losing more weight than i ever lost excersizing.

Maybe you weren't in a high enough calorie deficit when you exercised? 

I assumed you were attempting to gain muscle mass, since that's why most people ask for protein powders. (My bad) As for weight loss, as long as you eat clean (not necessarily near vegetarian) and maintain a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight and feel decent. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 17
Oh.  Heh, sorry.  No i'm mostly just trying to eat in a way that will be filling an satisying, while also being low fat / low calorie.  I didn't specifically go Veggie to lose weight, I figured what the heck and tried it, actually I feel much better in many ways, so that's that.  the type of chemistry i have, i do have to have meat occaisionally, which is why I call myself a Mostly-Vegetarian, because i eat what i want.  that just happens to be fruits and other such things about 80% of the time :)

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 17
I guess you could say the high protein / amino acids / high fat stuff is the crutch that makes the veggie thing doable, if that makes sense. i love eating vegetarian but my body just couldn't sustain it longterm, i need meat and substantiality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back