question for thoes who own Grado GS1000i
Jun 8, 2010 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fir3St4rt3r

New Head-Fier
Hello,

i am trying to find a good amp for these headphones and i didnt, i am a little didisappointed of the sound, i expected more
or maybe i didnt find a good amp/source, i dont know.

I have tested them with: Rega Ear (poor sound)
                                   Creek OBH 21 SE (they dont match)
                                   Naim Headline2 with Flatcap 2x (the sound is good but still, i think they want more ....)

my source is a cd player from Naim cd5imk2 (i listen to all sort of types of music, classical, jazz, rock, soundtracks)

to be honest with you i prefer the sound form the Grado sr80i, probably because they have more bass....

dont get me wrong i like them, but i expect more from an 1000 dolars headphone....

so my question is, what amp you think will be a good match for them

PS i have like 300 Hours with them

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 10

Fir3St4rt3r, congrats on your first post. This question has been launched many time in Head-Fi so you probably won't receive much of a response. I hope I'm wrong, though.

You're right. The GS1K is hard to sync with an amp. The only amp that's worked for me is the Grace m902. With this amp, the GS1K comes to life. But I don't know if it would make sense for you to spend another $1600 or so for the right amp.

If you like the sound of the sr80i, perhaps you ought to sell the GS1Ki and use the funds for an amp that syncs well with the sr80i.

Why did you get the GS1Ki in the first place?

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 10
He would probably like the RS1i (maybe HF-2?) much better.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 10
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the only amps that I know of that synergize well with GS1000 are either no longer being made or start at US $2500. This is the sad reality of your situation. Even if you do find an amp that mates well, it will not change the overall sound signature of the GS1000.

If you like the balance of SR-80 more than GS1000, get an RS-1/2 or PS1000.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 10
i bought them because of a friend, i didnt had the chance to listen to them, if i had i wouldnt buy them, dont get me wrong on classical music i like them, is just that i know that they can do better.. but thanks a lot for the reply's

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 10

I owned Gs1000 and I loved them for Jazz and Classical.
I tried a lot of amps(Mad Ear +HD, Lisa III,Graham Slee solo,Earmax Se,Grado Ra1) IMO, The best amp for GS1000's Grace m902.
Maybe you dont like GS1000i sound signature.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 10
honestly the signature is ok, i know that they can do better, that's why i am asking you about an good amp, if i had to spend 1600 dolars on and amp, i will do that, not know i am low on cash :))

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 10
For large scale classical and piano, it's worth the effort to keep the GS1000 and find an amp that matches well.  The GS1000s will then be something truly special.  You can try finding a used Melos SHA-1 / Gold on Audiogon or on the boards here.

For a wider variety of musical genres, and if cash isn't a problem, you may be better off selling the the GS1000 and getting a T1 or PS1000. I only say this because you mentioned you wouldn't have gotten the GS1000 if you had heard them first and that you like the SR80. The PS1000 is not picky with amps, although you need a good one to make them reach their full potential.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 10
I would say expensive tubes - Melos sounds great or maybe Zana - cannot comment on that as I've never heard this combination but like somebody mentioned - good amps will start 2000+, unfortunately.
Maybe I can drag you to the dark side with AT-W5000 phones which are very good for classical provided you like this kind of presentation and amp -HA5000 is around 1000 Euro if you can find one. But I would definitely advise you to try AT before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back