Question for the AT-Woody gurus
Jul 20, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 27
I like the w2002/w11 finish much better
biggrin.gif

I don't see what's special about the w10vtg & w1000 finish - looks pretty plain to me, though the w5000 is even more dull. Keep in mind the w2002/w11 were limited edition items - the w5000 is "regular" production. Consequences being that not only does AT pull out all the stops for their LE items, but the delicacy of the finish is more acceptable there as well.

There's no indication that the L3000 was AT's last LE full sized audiophile headphone, so let's just wait and see before deciding they've given up on that finish.

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I like the w2002/w11 finish much better
biggrin.gif

I don't see what's special about the w10vtg & w1000 finish - looks pretty plain to me, though the w5000 is even more dull. Keep in mind the w2002/w11 were limited edition items - the w5000 is "regular" production. Consequences being that not only does AT pull out all the stops for their LE items, but the delicacy of the finish is more acceptable there as well.

There's no indication that the L3000 was AT's last LE full sized audiophile headphone, so let's just wait and see before deciding they've given up on that finish.

AT's people came to Taiwan and indicated that while AT has no special headphones for the 45th anniversary, they will have something for the 50th anniversary. So there will be a headphone that will should top the L3000.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom2517
AT's people came to Taiwan and indicated that while AT has no special headphones for the 45th anniversary, they will have something for the 50th anniversary. So there will be a headphone that will should top the L3000.

Seems like the first bit of reliable information that contests the head-fi rumour that there will be a 45th anniversary limited ed. AT can.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 27
Ah... it's been a while.

The only ATH-Ws that has Echizan laquer finish are the W11JPN and W2002 to be exact. The W10 you mentioned was probably the W10VTG which might come across as having a lacquer finish but in reality they have a painted finish a lot like W1000 but with a bit more gloss.

The Echizan laquer, from what I have read up on is a traditional craft in Japan and it is often used in bowls or containers alike. And because the difficult manufacturing process, the end product could be expensive.

I have no idea as to why audio technica ended producing these beautiful headphones which carries the excellent Japanese traditional craftsmanship. Maybe it's just not feasible to mass produce them.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Seems like the first bit of reliable information that contests the head-fi rumour that there will be a 45th anniversary limited ed. AT can.

I have also read the same information on www.hifi.com.tw

Based on the discussion with a few representatives from audo technica Japan, there seems to be NO 45th anniversary headphone planned. However there will be a phono-cartridge produced for this occasion. (for those like their vinyls)

Just for those who's interested.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 27
I too like the look of the W5000 over the older glossier headphones.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom2517

That's cool. I didn't expect them to try and top the L3000 so soon. Thanks for the info.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
That's cool. I didn't expect them to try and top the L3000 so soon. Thanks for the info.

The big secret:

The L4000 will use human flesh for leather. Like the Necronomicon.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The big secret:

The L4000 will use human flesh for leather. Like the Necronomicon.

I'm guessing they will sound dark then.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I'm guessing they will sound dark then.

It will be only the most supple of skin from sinners and people who like Sennheiser. So yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back