Question for Grado Owners
Sep 16, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm think about investing in either the RS-1 or RS-2. The only problem is that I was not a huge fan of the HF-1's (the only other pair of Grado's that I've owned/heard). I found them rather fatiguing with shrill highs and so uncomfortable that they made long listening sessions (which is most of what I do) impossible.

So I'm wondering how the RS-1 and RS-2 compare...yes, yes, I know that they're a better can. But do people that find the HF-1 fatiguing find the RS-1/2 fatiguing? Are they any more comfortable? Or is Grado just not the brand for me...I would like to give them another shot, I just don't want to go back to the FS forum again.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Maybe Grados are not for you.

Yup.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 21
I don't have that much time with the HF-1s, but I compare them to the SR-225s. The SR-225s have shrill highs and are fatiguing to me, I can only wear them for about an hour. The RS-1s, which I own, are not at all shrill or fatiguing.
Comfort wise they are about the same, unfortunately. There won't really be any difference. So if that's an issue, Grados may not be for you.
But you do kind of get used to it. But then again, maybe not.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 21
IMHO the HF1 and MS1 are the warmest Grados.
RS1 needs tube amplification to shine, through that DA10 its a shouty beast, suitable for low volume listening only. Its been a long time since I heard a RS2 so I 'm not really qualified to comment.

I wouldnt recommend a grado to you with SS amplification.... but thats my preference.

Comfort-wise they all suck

Garrett

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Comfort-wise they all suck

Again that is a matter of preference because I think the bowl pads are really comfortable.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
Again that is a matter of preference because I think the bowl pads are really comfortable.

true... actually I found them unbearable for only 2-3 weeks. Now that my ear cartilage has turned to Mush they are my most comfey cans.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever

I like flats a bit. They're pretty comfortable, after your ears adjust.

In Grado Country, headphones burn in YOU!

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 21
I also think the bowl pads are very comfortable. Not as comfortable as the SR60's with the reverse HD414 pads, but close.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 21
if you read the interview with john grado, he actually says there is a "burn in" for the bowl pads they should get more and more comfortable as they are used and most people seem to think that they are comfortable even though not everyone does, if the Hf-1s you tried were fully broken in maybe the other pads like comfies, flats, senn 414, etc. will suit you better and you can also reverse any of the above.

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 21
I had a weird experience concerning comfort and grados. My sr80's were very uncomfortable but my sr225's are completely the opposite. The pressure put on my ears is a lot less. The plastic headband is even softer. I do not know if I just got a bad pair of sr80's or if I got a great pair of sr225's. My sr225's are getting better and better every day and I have only had them a couple of months. I have not bent the headbands either. Maybe these were pre-bent at the factory or maybe my sr80's just needed a good bend. I love my sr225's though. I am glad I purchased them.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
I also think the bowl pads are very comfortable. Not as comfortable as the SR60's with the reverse HD414 pads, but close.

Yeah! Change "SR-60 to MS-1s" and I'm in full agreement!!

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 21
Why don't you investigate some of the other fine brands of headphones that are available. It sounds like Grados may not be for you. While the RS1 & RS2 are more refined than the HF1, all Grados have the unrestrained highs. It's part of the "house" Grado sound.

As far as comfort goes, some don't like them & some do, but if you already have found them uncomfortable, that is unlikely to change. So why try and force something you already have doubts about? I urge you to demo some Beyers, or AKG's before you make a final decision.

- augustwest

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 21
Grados may not be for you....but another opinion:

I felt that RS-1's were very fatiguing compared to HF-1's. You didn't mention pads...but obviously the stock bowls prove more fatiguing for many people.

The warmest and least fatiguing Grados I've heard is a woodied HF-1, and an RS-2 (they are very similar).

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 21
I agree with Wolfen, Grado's may not be for you. In my experience my HF-1's are the least pronounced in the treble of all Grados's I have owned and I have owned the RS-1. Flat or Senn 414 pads reduced the treble range noticeably compared to the bowl pads. Personally I don't like bowls myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back