question for all the Creed haters (and I know there are lots of you..)
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar

You haven't even listened to Pearl Jam by your own admission. You are judging them based off of a couple of tracks you heard on the radio.

So does everyone other than me in this thread owns both all of Creed's CDs and all of Pearl Jam's CDs and are commenting on Creed based on repeatedly listening to their entire body of work? I highly doubt it. How many Creed CDs do you own?

Quote:

As to the whole "spiritual" aspect. People like Pat Robertson and other televangelists get the vast majority of their money from the very poor, in poor areas religious fanaticism is a way of life for many. Why? Because it distracts from reality, it keeps your head in the clouds and has nothing to do with real life. People have "crisis of faith" because it is a lot easier than dealing with the real problems. "My Own Prision" is a good title, its just a trap for your mind.

I think Creed fans find them deep because it is the first CD that Mommy would buy them that wasn't DC Talk.

Now we start to see where you are really coming from. I don't think you want to go there, though. This is supposed to be a forum for discussing music, not insulting people's faith.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #32 of 57
Bah, I am Christian myself, a diehard one at that. But Creed's lyrics never seemed to appeal me at all, they were in fact pretty shallow in light of any Christian rock band. They are trying to send a religious message to their listeners, yet for some reason, either they are too ashamed to be classified as Christian rock or won't say what they are truly trying to get at because they won't get as popular. I don't support this way of thought at all, one of the main reasons I don't like them.

As for the "trying to be all hard" but still maintaining a poppy atmosphere, hit the nail on the head on that one. This is also a big turn-off, stick to a genre without trying to make it fit everybody's that it absolutely sucks. (*cough* Linkin Park)

But what really makes the difference for me is that I just can't stand their style of music in general, no matter what the lyrics are, what the band's history, whatever, I just think that they don't have the talent that it takes to be a great band, mediocre at best.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #33 of 57
I said that I liked a few tracks off of MOP, but to compare Creed to Pearl Jam in terms of talent or ability, let alone mentioning them in the same sentence, is an act of ignorance and fanboyism. I will admit I am not a huge fan of anything PJ has done since Yield, but even that trounces anything Creed has ever done.

Besides, Pearl Jam, IMO, is one of the best lyrical bands in the last twenty years. Their music actually MEANS something.

And for what it's worth, I have listened to all of Creed's albums, and "I'm still alive!" LOL
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
Take, for example, the one sentence I quoted from you. What have you heard from Pearl Jam? What did you not like about Pearl Jam? What aspects of "My Own Prison" did you find to be superior? Did you really sit down and listen to Pearl Jam, or was it just in passing? You see, there's so many different ways to break down your opinion, but instead you gave a brief summary.

I own Ten. I like it.. I think it's a good album. It's sitting right next to Candlebox's debut and Live's Throwing Copper as far as listening habits go (both of which are albums from my past that I really enjoy). Everything else I might've heard from Pearl Jam over the years has been on the radio.

Let me say that - with the exception of very few tracks - I cannot stand Human Clay or any of Creed's work thereafter. I think it's terrible. That being said, My Own Prison appeals to me on a completely different level and satisfies me musically in a way that Pearl Jam does not. Songs like 'Ode' and 'Unforgiven' hit me from just the right angle, musically.

Lyrically, I can't really say. Looking at the general attitude in this thread, it's all myopia revolving around subpar pseudo-christian lyrics. It strikes all too close to the common scenario of people dismissing the wonderful music that constitutes many forms of metal solely because of dark vocal styles. When somebody writes a multi-paragraph display of discontent that focuses on nothing but lyrics while mentioning nothing at all about the actual music, it doesn't have any sort of lasting effect on me.

When I listen to music, I listen to the music.. lyrics are secondary to me. There are actually only a handful of bands for whom I go out of my way to fully digest the lyrical content. I love innovation in instrumentation.. that's my #1 focus when I'm listening to a given artist. Lyrics will not keep any sort of hold on me if there's nothing backing them up. The music, on the other hand, will.. I love instrumentals.

Maybe that's why I like MOP? Who knows.

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
When I listen to music, I listen to the music.. lyrics are secondary to me. There are actually only a handful of bands for whom I go out of my way to fully digest the lyrical content.

I am the same way. Pearl Jam is one of the only bands that I know most of the lyrics to. For me, the vocals are more of an instrument than a message.

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
709_Christian_Rock_Hard---Album_Cover.jpg

praise jeebus

BEST LYRICS EVER!! I wish I could remember the words to the gospel "Body of Christ" I wish they would release this has an album.

I need you in my life, Jesus.
I can't live without you, Jesus.
And I just want to feel you,
deep inside me, Jesus.

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert

Anyways, if you can relate to the lyrics then the musicianship becomes secondary. Nobody worries about whether the Springsteens or Dylans of the world can shred a guitar solo faster than VanHalen or write in 11/8 time signature.

Musicianship will NEVER be secondary to lyrical content... as long as there is red blood flowing through my fingers and I can fret an basic E-major.

Springstein and Dylan are revolutionary artists, writers who over the dacades have developed unique styles that are an indistinguishable signature sound. Creed is no where NEAR that level of creative artistry my friend.

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmox
Lyrically, I can't really say. Looking at the general attitude in this thread, it's all myopia revolving around subpar pseudo-christian lyrics.

Funny, no mention of their lyrics in the list of reasons why their own fans decided to sue them.

Quote:

CREED FANS SUE BAND OVER SHOW
The devotees claim the rockers' performance cheated them out of a real concert...
CREED are being sued by fans who claim the quality of the band's performance cheated them out of a real concert.

Four fans, Philip and Linda Berenz and Wendy and Chad Costino - claim singer Scott Stapp was so "intoxicated and/or medicated that he was unable to sing the lyrics of a single Creed song" during a gig at the at Illinois Allstate Arena< last year (December 29).

Each are looking to get back the $56.75 each they spent on tickets, service charges and parking fees. The suit alleges: "Stapp left the stage on several occasions during songs for long periods of time, rolled around on the floor of the stage in apparent pain or distress and appeared to pass out while onstage during the performance," Rolling Stone reports.

Shortly after the show, the band apologised for its quality. An email to fans said: "We apologise if you don't feel that the show was up to the very high standards set by our previous shows. We also understand and appreciate the fact that there has been much concern about Scott's health. [He] is taking a much needed break at home in Orlando. For now, we hope that you can take some solace in the fact that you definitely experienced the most unique of all Creed shows."

© IPC MEDIA 1996-2006, All rights reserved | Site User Terms | Privacy Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Buy Our Content

In The Magazine

http://www.nme.com/news/creed/14121

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #41 of 57
I don't think all christians can relate to Creed's lyrics which mainly deals with their inner struggles between his(their?) faith and his(their) personal desires. I can relate to that, I can also understand why some people don't get those kind of struggles.

It's just wrong, just because YOU cannot relate doesn't mean the lyrics sucks or are 'fake'. Especially when one have the knowledge that Scott Stapp has a christian background while having to deal with a self plague with all sorts of humanly desires like drunkardness.

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
Funny, no mention of their lyrics in the list of reasons why their own fans decided to sue them.

No mention of the music, either.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #44 of 57
Well, I edited to put a bigger version of a funny album cover on, but decided that the better edit would be just to take it all out and say that the question was asked and it was answered more than adequately. Some may not like or agree with the answers, but that doesn't make them any less valid (since opinions were what was asked for).

The truest thing someone said was 'either you're into it or you're not'. That's true of any music. Even if some (I) really intensely dislike it. Hell, there's a thread where lots of people are lambasting a band I like, and I didn't feel the need to get into that one. I guess I just find Creed amusing.

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #45 of 57
I'm not one to bash other people's likes or hobbies, as some will take such comments as personal or hurtful.

But, the fact that no one has mentioned that Creed is nothing more than Corporate-manufactured rock is quite alarming. Bands/singers like Creed, Avril Lavigne, etc., were born and bred in the offices of music execs and businessmen...tailor-made to satiate the short attention spans of the general public.

As for Pearl Jam, c'mon, they haven't made anything remotely original since Vitalogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back