question for all the Creed haters (and I know there are lots of you..)
Jul 8, 2006 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Whenever I see Creed mentioned around here, it's always in the context of unrelenting hatred. No exceptions. Now, I'm not a big fan either.. but do all you guys really think that My Own Prison is that bad of an album? Or are you just referring to their admittedly horrible efforts immediately preceding the band's demise?

Because personally, I think that My Own Prison is a pretty damn good album. I don't listen to it very often any more, but I'm not at all ashamed to say that I like it. While it's rather sad that Creed didn't continue down that path with their later efforts, I think that they do deserve some inkling of recognition for one of the better hard rock/metal-ish albums of the late 90's that also managed to garner mass appeal.

So, what are your thoughts on that album?

'Ode' used to be one of my favorite songs back in the day.. lol
rs1smile.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 57
Not to be mean, but I don't think Creed has enough relevance anymore in the mainstream to even build up a healthy head of outraged anti-fans anymore. Maybe back when they ruled VH1, but no longer.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 57
I know some of these things could be said about a number of bands, but when you combine them all together, well, it's hard not to hate Creed:

1) Annoying, ugly frontman with an insanely overinflated ego that permeated virtually everything the band did

2) Musical style blatanly copied from an earlier, better band and dumbed down

3) Irritatingly goody-goody, quasi-preachy, nearly christian lyrics

4) Music that tried to sound hard and heavy, yet light and poppy at the same time (i.e. get your f'ing priorities straight)

5) Overplay on the radio to the point you wanted to throw the stereo right out of the car

6) Verbatim to the previous comment, save re: videos and your TV

Comments 1, 5, and 6 apply to GnR for instance, however, one could at least somewhat get past them, since they had their own unique sound that was very cool, very rock and roll, and did not sound like dumbed-down "let's sell some records to 11-year-olds" BS.

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I know some of these things could be said about a number of bands, but when you combine them all together, well, it's hard not to hate Creed:

1) Annoying, ugly frontman with an insanely overinflated ego that permeated virtually everything the band did

4) Music that tried to sound hard and heavy, yet light and poppy at the same time (i.e. get your f'ing priorities straight)

5) Overplay on the radio to the point you wanted to throw the stereo right out of the car

Comments 1, 5, and 6 apply to GnR for instance, however, one could at least somewhat get past them, since they had their own unique sound that was very cool, very rock and roll, and did not sound like dumbed-down "let's sell some records to 11-year-olds" BS.

I am not the biggest Creed fan, but I think what you said was pretty unfair to them.

1. Scott Stapp isn't ugly, sure he is no Brad Pitt, but he is far from ugly. Even if you think he is, that isn't his fault. About the ego part, his used-to-be-big ego kinda split the band, so that's kinda sad.

2. I don't really get it, when emo was pioneered, people say that the musical style sucks and that they are for teenagers who go around "acting" emo. Throwing back to a bit of grunge, fingers are pointed at them saying that they are blatant rip offs.

3. I guess pretty much lyrics should be about evil and all. A bit of positivity is NOT WELCOME. SCRAM!!

4. Subjective matter of taste.

5 & 6. Not their fault, their company wants to market them this way.

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 57
creed1.jpg

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
I am not the biggest Creed fan, but I think what you said was pretty unfair to them.

I don't think fairness was my goal. Creed is one of the most annoyingly awful rock bands that I've been forcibly exposed to vis a vi our society in as long as I can remember. I all but threw a party when I found out they were no more. I was simply giving a few reasons why I couldn't stand them

FYI the band they ripped off and dumbed down is Pearl Jam, and I have nothing against positive or uplifting lyrics, only those that come across as contrived for the sake of satisfying one's own messiah-like self image
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 57
And yet, my initial question remains unanswered still. I should've been able to predict the outcome before I ever posted this thread, though. My fault.
rolleyes.gif

Also, My Own Prison is a better album than anything I've ever heard from Pearl Jam. IMO.

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 57
Well Creed does hold some sentimental value to me, I have some good memories from the album My Own Prison.

With that said, I don't think they are that great (they had there one shot of fame and imo, was to long) the only reason I listen to it occasionaly err rarely, is becuase it brings back memories of some good times....other then that I couldn't nor would I ever recommend them to anyone.

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 57
I only ever remember that one Creed song that was popular, can't remember the name either, never liked the music so never payed attention
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 57
I will go out on a limb and say that I like some songs off of My Own Prison, but that's about it for me. Besides those few tracks I like off of said album, the rest is, how shall we say, a big pile of SUCK.

I do believe that Creed are a lightning rod of criticism toward the played out, overly dumbed down, and very predictable style of the garbage that is being played on the radio. There are many bands that I hate MUCH more than Creed (many of the bands that start with "The", or any of those "Emo" bands, ugghhh).

Here is the kicker: I do not blame the bands for the terrible state of most music that is easily accessible, I blame the masses. For God's (or whatever else you worship) sakes people, vote with your wallet and get this crap off the airwaves... buy more of the stuff you DO like
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 57
Lol everyone does that (referes to VB), I've never seen that picture to be honest, but that bald guy looks like a retard in every picture hahah
biggrin.gif

I aint got nothing against Creed though apart from the fact that I don't like their music.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer

This sums it up for me as well. Just too... blaah... not prog enough to really capture my interest and pull me into the music. Not aggressive enough, not heavy enough to stir me emotionally. Yet too semi-heavy to be a melodic / harmonic groove. It just sounds like every one of their tunes is carbon copied for FM radio. Mike portnoy sums up Creed pretty well... "4/4 time... 3 minutes long". Although some of their tunes have some odd time signatures, but still thats not enough to really attract me.

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
So, what are your thoughts on that album?

It sucks. They suck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Also, My Own Prison is a better album than anything I've ever heard from Pearl Jam. IMO.

And that right there is why you're having trouble finding the answer you're looking for. Formulating someone's opinion on music is a rather complicated thing; there's the instrument playing, the lyrics, the song writing and structure, the singer's voice, the personalities of the band members, the popularity, the timing, etc. So, we boil it down to a simple like or dislike scale.

Take, for example, the one sentence I quoted from you. What have you heard from Pearl Jam? What did you not like about Pearl Jam? What aspects of "My Own Prison" did you find to be superior? Did you really sit down and listen to Pearl Jam, or was it just in passing? You see, there's so many different ways to break down your opinion, but instead you gave a brief summary.

As for why everyone around here seems to hate Creed, that's a more interesting question. Personally, I think it could be that, since we're all clearly big fans of music, we act a little snobbish and shun anything we deem to be unoriginal/generic and "commercialized". It's the same thing that metalheads did when Metallica released the black album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back