Question: DAC & Amp Compatibility
Oct 10, 2007 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using an Original Master SS amp with Behringer DAC for almost a year now and I'm fairly happy with it. However, I want to try something that glows in the dark now (tubes).

Currently I'm looking at either a Little Dot MKIII or Lunchbox (I don't want to spend alot of money as I still have a Harley-Davidson to feed). Will probably use my Yammy DVD-C750 analog outs as a source, as that way I can run SACD thru whatever amp I get. That having been said, I don't own many SACD and probably will never since there is not much available in the musical genre to which I listen mostly.

SO, if I just take one of the digital outs from the Yammy into, say, a Lite DAC AH (again, trying to get off cheap here but still get some benefit), then into the tube amp, would I be 'gaining' anything more than I can get outta whatever the the Yammy puts out stock? Also, is there any downside to introducing even more SS elements into the chain by adding the Lite DAC AH, when my whole intent is to go tube? I have read the DVD-C750 is pretty decent for its price range. I havent had it long and really am just still evaluating its DVD playback potential.

Any advice is appreciated. Oh yeh, my cans are all Senn (280 Pro, HD515, HD555, HD595).

THANKS!

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 3
it really depends how good the analog outputs on the yammy are

the DAC-AH is a nice DAC for the price.

i have no experience with the Yammy player, but if it's a budget dvd player it'd be a safe bet to assume the DAC-AH would be an improvement... unless it's one of the sleeper players that's really good

edit: re: adding SS components to the chain, well it depends on how much of the tube flavour you want, but there's no harm or adverse effects, in fact the DAC-AH is a warmer sounding DAC and will add some warmth to your sound, if that's what you seek from tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back