Question: Buying first set of 'quality' headphones
Aug 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #16 of 25
Hey OP I've got a suggestion or two for you
Hd 439's: These headphones have a nice rumbly bass with decent isolation, are very comfortable and are very moddable if you turn out to like that and aren't very expensive
Denon HP700/Pro500mk2: great headphones that are as durable as heck, have a nice smooth bass with a larger and better soundstage compared to the m50's
Audio-technica ws99: Nice and bassy headphones that look fantastic and are somewhat durable, with a nice amount of isolation

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 25
Hd 439's: These headphones have a nice rumbly bass with decent isolation, are very comfortable and are very moddable if you turn out to like that and aren't very expensive
Denon HP700/Pro500mk2: great headphones that are as durable as heck, have a nice smooth bass with a larger and better soundstage compared to the m50's
Audio-technica ws99: Nice and bassy headphones that look fantastic and are somewhat durable, with a nice amount of isolation

+1 for the HD439! Great headphones for it's price

Billson :)

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 25
I would not recommend working out and running in quality headphones, sweat will ruin a good pair of cans.

IEMS might be your best bet. And almost everything sounds better than Beats By Dre, and Best Buy is not the place to test out headphones

There are 3 things that affect the sound of headphones, the Source, the amp [if needed] and the headphone. The sources at Best Buy are terrible fist of all, chances are Beats by Dre sounds best only because it's being sourced by something better than everything elese more than likely.

I'd try getting something like a SansaCip + and maybe a Fiio E11. Check the IEM threads for recommendations one something that fits your needs again]

I'd recommend getting something considered neutral, I don't know anything about IEMS. But again try something that is described as Neutral and use the Fiio E11 to add the extra bass that you'd want.

That would be your best bet, with a $200 budget, the Sansa Clip+ and the E11 should only run you around $70 dollars, leaving you about $100 or so for a pair of Iems. That should be a big enough budget to get exactly what your looking for, and look into other amps as well. Some amps work with IEMS well some don,t but if you think beats sound good... chances are you will want a bass Boosting amp with ur source and your iems. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
I hear the M50's bass is lacking and of course there is the aesthetic factor. But you gave me a good idea, I can perhaps purchase teh studios, try em out for a few days and if i like them, i iwll keep them otherwise I will return. 

I don't think so...
The M50's bass thumps and you can really hear it. But the Studios bass just farts out mud half the time. It's not as detailed as the m50s.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #20 of 25
If I were you, I'd forget about the Beats Studio and pick either of:

Beyerdynamic DT1350, V-Moda M-80, and Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

All three have significantly better sound and build quality than the Beats Studio and are less expensive at $219, $160 and $199 respectively (Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer for the warranty).

After researching, and reading Joker's excellent "Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones" (See link below), I decided to get the V-Moda M-80s ($161 from Amazon, an authorized V-Moda dealer). They sounded amazing when I auditioned them locally, they are portable, and the lower impedance of 28.5 Ω vs the other two, mean I won't need to carry my Fiio amp with me.  They'll be arriving tomorrow. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

For IEMs, I have the Etymotic MC5 and Brainwavz M2, which sound very good for the prices I paid. Both are solid all-arounders, and amped the MC5 even sound decent for hip-hop (but I'm not a fan of bass heavy IEM). They do require a good seal or the bass will be light (Shure Olives my preference).

I'm considering upgrading to the Etymotic HF5 ($96) or R-50 ($119), but I've been extremely happy with the MC5, particularly for the price and terrific isolation.

Two of the very best under $200 IEM are the Rock-It Sounds R-50 (dual BA) and the VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro ($179).

Of the ones you mentioned, the Sony XBA-1 (only $30) are a Single BA with good sound. They do have a flat J-cord that most do not care for.

Skip the bass heavy Klipsch S4 and look at the Klipsch Image X10 ($132) or possibly the Shure SE215 ($99). Both are popular IEMs with sound signatures that should be good for the music you've listed (classical however would be better with a more neutral sound signature like the HF5, or similar BA, or the RE-400).

The SE215, like the R-50 and GR07, are over-the-ear designs good for working out.

The most helpful page for IEM reviews is the "Multi-IEM REview".

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-292-iems-compared-short-impressions-of-11-iems-added-08-09-13-p-745

If you want portable on-ear headphones, skip the Beats, and get the V-Moda M-80s. That said, I agree with the above about working out in pricey headphones, but for the price of the M-80s vs the Beats you were considering, you'll have close to $100 for a pair of nice IEMs for the gym, and a nicer pair of portable on-ears.

Best of luck, Markus

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 25
Great suggestion, I'm glad that you know about IEMs 

OMG I totally tried the Senn 25-ii and it was like an  upgraded Beats Studio, the sound stage is not large enough for classical, but it's very nice for bass heavy genres. 

The dt 990 would be a great option for what you want, but no isolation >.>

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
If I were you, I'd forget about the Beats Studio and pick either of:

Beyerdynamic DT1350, V-Moda M-80, and Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

All three have significantly better sound and build quality than the Beats Studio and are less expensive at $219, $160 and $199 respectively (Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer for the warranty).

After researching, and reading Joker's excellent "Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones" (See link below), I decided to get the V-Moda M-80s ($161 from Amazon, an authorized V-Moda dealer). They sounded amazing when I auditioned them locally, they are portable, and the lower impedance of 28.5 Ω vs the other two, mean I won't need to carry my Fiio amp with me.  They'll be arriving tomorrow. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

For IEMs, I have the Etymotic MC5 and Brainwavz M2, which sound very good for the prices I paid. Both are solid all-arounders, and amped the MC5 even sound decent for hip-hop (but I'm not a fan of bass heavy IEM). They do require a good seal or the bass will be light (Shure Olives my preference).

I'm considering upgrading to the Etymotic HF5 ($96) or R-50 ($119), but I've been extremely happy with the MC5, particularly for the price and terrific isolation.

Two of the very best under $200 IEM are the Rock-It Sounds R-50 (dual BA) and the VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro ($179).

Of the ones you mentioned, the Sony XBA-1 (only $30) are a Single BA with good sound. They do have a flat J-cord that most do not care for.

Skip the bass heavy Klipsch S4 and look at the Klipsch Image X10 ($132) or possibly the Shure SE215 ($99). Both are popular IEMs with sound signatures that should be good for the music you've listed (classical however would be better with a more neutral sound signature like the HF5, or similar BA, or the RE-400).

The SE215, like the R-50 and GR07, are over-the-ear designs good for working out.

The most helpful page for IEM reviews is the "Multi-IEM REview".

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-292-iems-compared-short-impressions-of-11-iems-added-08-09-13-p-745

If you want portable on-ear headphones, skip the Beats, and get the V-Moda M-80s. That said, I agree with the above about working out in pricey headphones, but for the price of the M-80s vs the Beats you were considering, you'll have close to $100 for a pair of nice IEMs for the gym, and a nicer pair of portable on-ears.

Best of luck, Markus

Appreciate the suggestions Markus but I already made the purchase. Will take in account when I buy my next pair. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

I tried the HD 439s and unfortunately I found it lacking in bass. The sound was not as powerful as the Sol Republic  I bought today

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #25 of 25
I'm glad you found a set that you like.  I tried the Sol Republic Tracks at Radio Shack the other day.  Kind of cool looking, but the design with non pivoting ear cups is one that I thought would become uncomfortable in a short time.  Plus once I heard the V-Moda M-80s I was done demoing headphones.  The Sol and the Klipsch Image One sets had sound signatures that weren't for me, and just didn't do it for me in comparison to the M80s.  But it's in a different price bracket than the Sol and Image One so it's normal.   

But the $89 you mentioned is a good price and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.  Congrats.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back