Question: Best unamped Small/Medium Headphones for IPOD (Not Earbuds)
Dec 8, 2003 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AngryFish

Head-Fier
Dear Fellow Head-Fi'ers,

Im trying to find portable aural nirvana...
I listen to a wide variety of music ranging from folk to trip-hop. favor the sound of amped DT-770 Pro's. (Yes I do like a Thumping Low end). I really want to find a pair of small to midsize phones that can be driven well from the ipod without the use of an amp. also would like something with decent low end thump. Ive tried the sony ex-71's and e888's as well as the mx500's so I dont think earbuds are the answer.

Home Rig: JMT Meta42's, Beyer DT-770 Pro's
Porta Rig: Apple 2nd gen IPOD 40GB, Koss PortaPros or KSC-35's

P.S. A shout-out and thanks to TomHankins for the 770's i bought them from him almost a year ago and im still in awe of them.

Thanks

Dec 8, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 15
What aren't you getting from the Koss'? Those, to me, would be the best unamped headphones for you.

Dec 8, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm afraid I cant answer your question. I love the 35's but its been 6 months since I last posted on the board. just wondered if any new phones had come out that would rival the sound of the 35's driven by an ipod.
Ive been playing around with the idea of purchasing some grado's but I dont think the sr60's would quench my thirst for low frequency thump.

Dec 8, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Have you considered the Sony V-6's or the Sennheiser HD280's?

Dec 8, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 15
No, I have not tried either of those phones but have heard good things about both. arent the v6's mid size enclosed silver headphones? also does anyone who is reading this know of a place in chicago downtown area where I could listen to some grado's?

Dec 8, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 15
I have listened to HD280's out of an iPod. Its ok, but I had a pair of HD280's for a while and mostly used them out of a laptop headphone out. I now use PX200's. They are much better and more comfortable. Out of an iPod I preferred them as well. HD280's have lacked bass in every source I've tried them with. I think you should consider PX200's. For $30 at ecost.com you can't beat it.

Isaiah

The Dude Abides.

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by AngryFish
I love the 35's but its been 6 months since I last posted on the board. just wondered if any new phones had come out that would rival the sound of the 35's driven by an ipod.

IMO, there are few headphones that sound better with the iPod than the KSC-35.

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks, I love the KSC-35's and as I mentioned before just wanted to know if there was anything new out there.

I Might check out the PX200's its been a while since I bought a set of headphones.

Sigh... Then I will probably end up getting some grado's. Ive heard Senns & own Beyers but have yet to partake in the grado experience.

Thanks for the advice.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 15
If you like good audio quality with an extra base kick, then you need Koss. Specifically, look into the KSC-35 and the Portapros. The Senn PX100 is a good choice too but has a more neutral profile.

People seem to lean towards the KSC-35 but you should get the Portapro if you don't like wearing earclips or prefer traditional-style headphones. The pros also have a cool retro look too if you're into that kind of thing.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 15
The V6 are HUGE compared to PortaPros... I find PPs to sound kind of muddy and flabby compared to the V6s though. Also both sound way better with an amp - the V6 only sounds OK to me without an amp (kind of bright and thin) with an amp the bass jumps up and evens things out.

However for something totally different, PX100s or PX200s are pretty good.

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 15
if you can stand the size of the 7506/v6, i'd recommend the mdr-v900. Very efficient and its slightly dark sound blends well with the 3g's slightly bright sound, and the v900's do the thumping low end pretty well. (they can't touch the HD280's for very low bass though, but the 280's have an emphasis there imho)

I just picked up a 40-gig yesterday, woohoo
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
I'd recommend the PX200's as well. They're wonderful portables offering great sound, good isolation, compactness and good style.
biggrin.gif

But they don't sound a thing like the DT770, which is what he is after. The PX100 is more in the bassy vein, but I don't think it's as bassed up as the PP's.

I've never heard another can that sounds much like the DT770, especially a small can, but maybe they're out there somewhere.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
But they don't sound a thing like the DT770, which is what he is after. The PX100 is more in the bassy vein, but I don't think it's as bassed up as the PP's.

I've never heard another can that sounds much like the DT770, especially a small can, but maybe they're out there somewhere.

Next time I see you I'm going to make you try the PX200's again and get a good seal. Once you do the bass is VERY good... and oh that sweet, sweet midrange!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 15
Picked up some PX100s from the local Circuit City today. Was suprised to see them there. Guess I will give those a listen. I purchased 3 pair of the ksc-35s when koss offered them last. Already own and love a pair of PP's just need new earcushions for them.
V6's - borrowed a pair from a DJ friend of mine. he now favors Pioneer Cans. I may be able to get these v6's off of him cheaply if I like them. They are definitely larger than I thought they would be, but they may be ok for office/desk use.
Ive heard good things about the hd280's. I may ask the GF for a set from santa.

P.S. Bought a chrome banana stand from target today as well.. great headphone hanger. Im happy with it for 6$

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. Guess my wallet is going to get slimmer and the nest of headphones on my cabinet fatter.

600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back