Question about wooden headphones
Dec 8, 2012 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys! I have a quick question.

I have listened to the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium and the Grado Sr 80i. Even though the DT 880 is sometimes 2 or 3 times more expensive (depending on location) i find myself liking the Grado more only because of it's more "natural" sound. IMO the DT880 has a very "metallic" sound even if it's more balanced across the spectrum.

Is the natural sound a characteristic of wooden headphones as opposed to plastic/metallic ones? Or is it just the driver that makes the most difference?

I'm asking this because, even in games, where bass is more important for immersion, i like the grado better (albeit with a bit of EQ) mostly because the sounds are so natural!

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 6
If that's the case, that's perfectly logical. Clearly, you like the Grado sound more. I don't agree how the SR80i sounds "natural", but the DT880 does sound rather metallic in the treble. With that said, I never really liked most Beyerdynamic headphones. You should try the SR225i which is an improvement over the SR80i, but not a huge improvement considering the price difference. The SR80i is a very high performing headphone already. Be careful with the SR325is however. I was mistaken at first when I bought the SR325is thinking it was better than the SR80i, SR125i and the SR225i, but it turns out that I like the SR225i the most out of the SR range. Soon I'm going to pick up the RS1i and call it quits with Grados after that as it's my favorite sounding Grado.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 6
Straight from the Grado website:

"
 they have enlarged and improved the mass distribution in the plastic housing"

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php?item=ec27f1750be96023333af0dfe546af44

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Straight from the Grado website:

"
 they have enlarged and improved the mass distribution in the plastic housing"

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php?item=ec27f1750be96023333af0dfe546af44

Ahh, ok ,my bad. They just appeared to be a colored wood. But still is the enclosure the reason the headphones sound so natural or is it the driver? Even though the DT 880 is more expensive i just can't get over how metallic the sound is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back