Question about triple hybrid headphone drivers.
Jul 12, 2019 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Tsukuyomi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to have a headphone that contains an electrostatic, planar and dynamic driver in the same earcups. Obviously they would be positioned so that the planar driver would handle lows and some low-mids, the dynamic driver would handle mids to mid-highs, and a smaller electrostatic driver for the shared mid highs to highs.

Would this be possible? The build would obviously require a built in cable to make sure nothing happens to the electrostatic aspect of the cup drivers. Also closed back, mem foam and a very comfortable headband as i believe these would way over 550grams due to everything thats going in.

Would this prototype work?

Jul 12, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 35
What would the advantage of the dynamic driver be?

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 35
I think it would be the strawberry layer in the neopolitan ice cream

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 35
Hey everyone,
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to have a headphone that contains an electrostatic, planar and dynamic driver in the same earcups. Obviously they would be positioned so that the planar driver would handle lows and some low-mids, the dynamic driver would handle mids to mid-highs, and a smaller electrostatic driver for the shared mid highs to highs.

Would this be possible? The build would obviously require a built in cable to make sure nothing happens to the electrostatic aspect of the cup drivers. Also closed back, mem foam and a very comfortable headband as i believe these would way over 550grams due to everything thats going in.

I'd much rather see a headphone with planar magnetic and AMT drivers, myself

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 35
Hey everyone,

That would be ridiculous, like, like, a five-bladed razor! Oh wait. . .

https://gillette.com/en-us/products/razors-trimmers-and-blades/fusion-proshield-razor :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 35
Hey everyone,

doable, of course. closed back might be a problem, those kids inside will probably need to be able to move air as freely as possible, or they might start "pumping" each other. and there might be issues with the differences in sensitivity so I'd expect a few components to regulate that adequately, and we're done.

now would it be good? hmm, have you ever heard a multi driver headphone and thought it was a great headphone? I can't say I have.

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 35
doable, of course. closed back might be a problem, those kids inside will probably need to be able to move air as freely as possible, or they might start "pumping" each other. and there might be issues with the differences in sensitivity so I'd expect a few components to regulate that adequately, and we're done.

now would it be good? hmm, have you ever heard a multi driver headphone and thought it was a great headphone? I can't say I have.
True, ive tried one or two before but thought it was missing something that perhaps another type of driver could add or refine. Thats why im brain storming this idea.

I see what you mean about air pressure and venting. Maybe semi closed might be better with a dampened vent system that has a type of fabric so that air can move freely but not let too much sound in or out.. hmm

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 35
I think it would be the strawberry layer in the neopolitan ice cream
To be honest, i like the vanilla best, but strawberry is a close second.

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 35
What would the advantage of the dynamic driver be?
I guess it would handle range? Ive noticed from listening to a few electrostatic headphones and some(not all) planars, that they struggle a bit with soundstage width. Im hoping the dynamic would add a large stage range but use planar and static detail and articulation.

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 35
I’m betting you’re misattributing the source of the problem you’re experiencing.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 35
Jul 15, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 35
I think that your perception of soundstage is due more to the recording you are listening to, the shape of the earcups, and the shape of your ear canals than the kind of driver. There are too many variables I don't think you're considering. Plus, soundstage is an incredibly misused term in Head-Fi.

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 35
I think that your perception of soundstage is due more to the recording you are listening to, the shape of the earcups, and the shape of your ear canals than the kind of driver. There are too many variables I don't think you're considering. Plus, soundstage is an incredibly misused term in Head-Fi.
You're probably right, im basing my knowledge on headphones ive tried in the past and recently. By sound stage i guess i mean width. A more recent against this would be my recent adventure into the audeze lineup. Ive had the opportunity to try the 2s all the way up to the 4s including a closed back XC. I guess, id prefer the width of the X, and not the closed in feeling i get from the 2 or 3. ? Maybe my ears are weird haha :p

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 35
In general, soundstage and Intrument placement are things that are created in the sound mix of the music. Headphones that are open back or closed can sound different, but that wouldn't be because of different kinds of drivers.

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 35
In general, soundstage and Intrument placement are things that are created in the sound mix of the music. Headphones that are open back or closed can sound different, but that wouldn't be because of different kinds of drivers.
Interesting, so why would someone add multiple drivers to a pair of headphones (eg: onemore) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back