Question about this schematic.
Aug 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier
So I happen to come across a few 6AK5 tubes and I then found this schematic to build a simple preamp that uses these tubes. However looking at it has me a bit confused. Where it says "In" and "Out" is only one connection,I'm taking it that the center connection(the "pin)of...let's say a 1/8" jack goes to that "In" connection whereas the shield of it is grounded?

When I say grounded couldn't I just connect it(and all the other grounded connections)to the negative voltage supply? Or is this one of those schematics that only shows 1 channel? Would their be any voltage on the input and output that would possibly cause any problems(I doubt it but just checking...)

http://www.moregeometrico.net/SIMPLEPREAMPS.pdf

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 9
1) Yes, you would connect the shield to ground.

2) Yes, both of these just show one channel.

3) If you didn't know these two things, read a lot more before attempting to build these; 400V is more than enough to kill you.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Yes, you would connect the shield to ground.

2) Yes, both of these just show one channel.

3) If you didn't know these two things, read a lot more before attempting to build these; 400V is more than enough to kill you.

It says that about 50V will allow for good results and I've been hit by ~450V before so I know what it feels like. I've just always had trouble reading schematics when only one channel is shown. Lend me a hand here.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Maybe a good book about schematics would be a great ideas for you to help in your understanding of common symbols and ideas used in schematics.

Good luck with your build

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 9
I understand all of the symbols and what have you,I just need someone to remind me conceptually what is to look at a single channel of a schematic and then visual the second channel.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Pull up the tube data sheet - there are several sites that provide them. Count the pins on the schematic and then compare against the tube data sheet. You'll see if the tube is a dual triode or not. I'm posting from the phone and can't pull up the schematic or give you a URL to a datasheet at the moment, but you should be able to find one without much trouble. If the tube is a single triode (or connected as such), then you'll need two tubes. If it's a dual triode (or used that way) then you'll need one tube.

Seeing only one channel can be disconcerting at first, but you'll get used to the convention. When you build, it's easiest to mirror the twonchannels and build them at the same time. Do R1 on each side, move to R2 for both sides, and so on. You'll get more consistent results and less chance for error than if you build one and then build the other.

Also, build and test the power supply first. You'll want to make sure it's working before you build the circuit. If you have errors in both the circuit and power supply, it adds another layer of complexity to troubleshooting.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was having issue of whether or not there was one tube or two involved in this circuit.

Two tubes for stereo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back