Question about the Sennheiser HD 558
Jul 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ariston

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I am looking at buying a new pair of headphones / headset. My G35 is getting a bit old and uncomfortable, and the pleather has started to fall apart.

I have been getting a lot of suggestions, HD 555, HD 558, SS Siberia v2, Astro A40, Razer Megalodon etc. Every headset so far have their cons unfortunately, but I think I'm leaning towards the HD 558. I'm not really into the "open" headsets as there is background noise and also a lack of bass.

So I have a few questions. But first I want to say that I am not an audiophile by any means, I'm more of a gamer.

1. How good can you hear background noise with and without music/gaming?
2. How good can people around you hear music?
3. I listen to dubstep and watch movies - which need bass. I've heard that the bass isn't that good with that kind of music. How is it?
4. If the bass is bad, does it improve? If so, how much?
5. After using the G35, I don't really like pleather and therefore been looking more at headsets like the 558. But how big is the difference?
6. Since I'm going to connect it to my PC, I will be using the adapter. Is that all I need to use it, or do I need some kind of amp? I have no idea how that works, but people have mentioned amps.
7. I have many reasons, but the thing is I sit at home all day and was wondering if its comfortable after up to 12h of use each day?

And probably done. To end this, I'll say sorry if there's a lot of questions, typos and if I did something wrong with posting this.

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I am looking at buying a new pair of headphones / headset. My G35 is getting a bit old and uncomfortable, and the pleather has started to fall apart.

I have been getting a lot of suggestions, HD 555, HD 558, SS Siberia v2, Astro A40, Razer Megalodon etc. Every headset so far have their cons unfortunately, but I think I'm leaning towards the HD 558. I'm not really into the "open" headsets as there is background noise and also a lack of bass.

So I have a few questions. But first I want to say that I am not an audiophile by any means, I'm more of a gamer.

1. How good can you hear background noise with and without music/gaming?
2. How good can people around you hear music?
3. I listen to dubstep and watch movies - which need bass. I've heard that the bass isn't that good with that kind of music. How is it?
4. If the bass is bad, does it improve? If so, how much?
5. After using the G35, I don't really like pleather and therefore been looking more at headsets like the 558. But how big is the difference?
6. Since I'm going to connect it to my PC, I will be using the adapter. Is that all I need to use it, or do I need some kind of amp? I have no idea how that works, but people have mentioned amps.
7. I have many reasons, but the thing is I sit at home all day and was wondering if its comfortable after up to 12h of use each day?

And probably done. To end this, I'll say sorry if there's a lot of questions, typos and if I did something wrong with posting this.

If there is no noise around you that bothers you, get open headphones (HD558).
Adding the Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card will improve audio quality over your on-board audio.
And has Dolby good for movies and some games.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
If there is no noise around you that bothers you, get open headphones (HD558).
Adding the Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card will improve audio quality over your on-board audio.
And has Dolby good for movies and some games.

I live by the road, so there is traffic around. But even with the G35 I can hear it, so I would think I can handle a bit more noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back