Question about the IBasso D1 and a tube amp
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive a few questions, Im no amp expert so i would like to know a few things and possibly get a few of your thoughts and comments.

the Ibasso D1 doesn't amp very well, I know its a pre amp and not really meant for that but I wanted to know if something like the Bravo Audio Tube amp even needs to be used with it.  When X headphone is plugged into the D1, it sounds weak, but darn smooth and spacious.  I hooked a Pav2 to the D1 just for giggles and found my AD700s to sound bright, clear, spacious and impacting.  

would using the Bravo Tube amp as seen below be a wise amp choice for lower end gear like the AD700, A Philips HP 1000, and possibly a vintage Beyer DT880 from 1986 lol?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/457781/review-bravo-audio-tube-amp-added-small-comparison-impression-of-penguin-ultra-cmoy-amp/15

Is it to my understanding the D1 needs to be connected to a great amp to get the best sound imaginable from it?  I mean, like i said the sound actually coming out of it is so clear and nice, obviously nicer than just my source, it seems to wider and space it out a bit, clear it up.  But when i added the pav2 to the mix, it went to the middle of the road in quality from just the D1, to the source.  It was really well amped, but it didnt sound as clear as it did right from the D1 because of the pav2 most likely

i guess basically what i am asking is would a lower budget tube amp ruin the awesome quality produced by the d1?  

any help, comments or thoughts is appreciated

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 3
It'll probably be fine If you get a decent tube for it.  I've used by Bithead as just a DAC to feed my Indeed (Bravo clone) and it sounded great to me.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Hmm, awesome.  Heres hoping it works out well haha
wink.gif
 *crosses fingers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back