Question about the Fostex HP-P1 and Algorythm solo
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mishalex

Head-Fier
I realize this is a relatively noobish question, but we all have to start somewhere, right?  I was wondering what the difference between the Algorythm solo/ Fostex HP-P1 and other portable dacs or amp/dac combos was.  I am aware that both use very high quality DACs, and that the Algorythm Solo is just a dac, whereas the HP-P1 also has a built-in amp.  What is my question then?  Well, quite simply, the claim has been made that they are the first devices of their kind (that allow the user to bypass the internal dac of an i-device like the i-Phone or the i-Pod).  I suppose I'm not completely clear on what this means.  Couldn't I just use a 30-pin doc to mini usb cable and plug that into a FiiO e7 or a practical devices XM6 or any other amp/dac combo and also bypass the internal dac of the i-pod that way?  Couldn't I just take the audio out digitally through the USB cable, and if not, why not?  Is it part of the software of the Algorythm Solo and the HP-P1 possess, or is it part of the hardware architecture that I'm not understanding. 

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, and thanks in advance for the response.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Both the ALO and the Fostex extract digital bytes and do the D/A conversion in their respective devices. As does the iStreamer and Pure dock and a few of the others.
The other devices you mention don't have a way of extracting that digital info....they can only take an analog signal that has been converted by the ipod itself.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Both the ALO and the Fostex extract digital bytes and do the D/A conversion in their respective devices. As does the iStreamer and Pure dock and a few of the others.
The other devices you mention don't have a way of extracting that digital info....they can only take an analog signal that has been converted by the ipod itself.

To expand on this, other devices take an analog line-out signal through the dock cable while the CLAS/HP-P1 extract the digital data (and subsequently process it themselves). It requires different hardware on the receiving end of the dock cable.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Bcos digital data out of the iDevices is encrypted so only HP-P1/CLAS (and a few others) who have licensed Apple's technology are able to decrypt that.

Quote:
I realize this is a relatively noobish question, but we all have to start somewhere, right?  I was wondering what the difference between the Algorythm solo/ Fostex HP-P1 and other portable dacs or amp/dac combos was.  I am aware that both use very high quality DACs, and that the Algorythm Solo is just a dac, whereas the HP-P1 also has a built-in amp.  What is my question then?  Well, quite simply, the claim has been made that they are the first devices of their kind (that allow the user to bypass the internal dac of an i-device like the i-Phone or the i-Pod).  I suppose I'm not completely clear on what this means.  Couldn't I just use a 30-pin doc to mini usb cable and plug that into a FiiO e7 or a practical devices XM6 or any other amp/dac combo and also bypass the internal dac of the i-pod that way?  Couldn't I just take the audio out digitally through the USB cable, and if not, why not?  Is it part of the software of the Algorythm Solo and the HP-P1 possess, or is it part of the hardware architecture that I'm not understanding. 

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, and thanks in advance for the response.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Gotcha.  Thanks a lot for the information.  But this does not imply that other usb amp/dac combos can't extract the information digitally from a computer, right?  If I'm understanding everyone correctly, you need special software and hardware to get the i-device to feed the raw digital data into a device to which it's connected, whereas most PCs are already set up to allow you to bypass their own internal soundcards so that you can use, say, an external soundcard or a USB DAC instead, correct?  So, if I just wanted a portable amp/dac combo to extract a signal digitally from my laptop, and not any i-device, I shouldn't have any problems, right?  Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 9
You are correct.

Quote:
Gotcha.  Thanks a lot for the information.  But this does not imply that other usb amp/dac combos can't extract the information digitally from a computer, right?  If I'm understanding everyone correctly, you need special software and hardware to get the i-device to feed the raw digital data into a device to which it's connected, whereas most PCs are already set up to allow you to bypass their own internal soundcards so that you can use, say, an external soundcard or a USB DAC instead, correct?  So, if I just wanted a portable amp/dac combo to extract a signal digitally from my laptop, and not any i-device, I shouldn't have any problems, right?  Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 9
I was debating between the Fostex HP-P1 and the Practical Devices XM6, but I think that, for my purposes, the XM6 is a better choice, cost of course also being a consideration.  Many thanks again to everyone for your clear explanations. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 9
If you are using an iPad, you actually have a much cheaper alternative: the Camera Connection Kit. Read more about the CCK and compatible USB DACs here

Quote:
I was debating between the Fostex HP-P1 and the Practical Devices XM6, but I think that, for my purposes, the XM6 is a better choice, cost of course also being a consideration.  Many thanks again to everyone for your clear explanations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back