Question about testing a balanced output through a single ended headphone
Dec 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pyriel0

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to test a balanced signal in only the right or left driver of my headphone to see if its worth the cost/trouble to buy another amp and redo the cables myself for balanced. I would have the inverted signal hooked up to the ground of the headphone and the positive to the normal + side for driver being tested. If I am testing with the right speaker, will the impedance of the left screw things up(since the ground is connected to both)? I don't think it should since the left speaker will be left open. Only the right speaker would be a closed circuit. I just wanted to ask and see if someone could tell me for sure before I try it. Thanks

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Uhm... what?

Some amps (specifically those with passive ground) might be able to be set up as single channel balanced amps. You'll need to custom make a headphone adapter (tie amp Left to headphone - and amp Right to headphone +). Feed the amp right input the non-inverting signal and amp left input the inverting signal and you should have +/- output. Do not connect output ground. Of course you still need input ground.

This will allow you to test one channel. Some have done a simple "balanced" mono-block type of amps like this simply using two identical amps and doing the above.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Mayhaps Dreadhead will someday post his findings here.

Of course, you actually want to hear the difference...
wink_face.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a stereo extension cable with mini ends that I just throw 1/4 adapters on. Then I will use paper clips to short appropriate sections of the extension 1/4 connector to the headphone 1/4 inch connector.

I was going to buy a couple of these and just use one to connect the left or right channel from the dac to the amp. Philmore 44-160 I figure its worth a shot since it is $20 for the connectors+shipping. Better than spending ~$300+ on another amp just to see what balanced is like.

I understand what you mean Fallen. I just meant that when I hook the amp output to the headphone the inverted signal will be hooked to the normal "ground" of the headphone(it will still be wired for single ended). That is connected to both the left and right drivers. I'm just wondering if having the right channel's inverted signal going to the left driver also(which will be open on the other end of the left driver) will cause a problem.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I understand what you mean Fallen. I just meant that when I hook the amp output to the headphone the inverted signal will be hooked to the normal "ground" of the headphone(it will still be wired for single ended). That is connected to both the left and right drivers. I'm just wondering if having the right channel's inverted signal going to the left driver also(which will be open on the other end of the left driver) will cause a problem.

But that's the thing, you will not have the headphone a "ground". You will need to either make a TRS-TRS headphone adapter or you'll need to re-terminate your headphones. Obviously re-termintaion is easier, but the adapter is nicer so you don't have to mess with your headphones.

Your adapter should be wired like this (for RIGHT channel balanced test):

Male TRS (plugs into amp) : Female TRS (plugs into headphones)
Tip : Sleeve (-)
Ring : Ring (+)
Sleeve : not connected

Your amp inputs will be
Left : Ineverting
Right : Non-Inverting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back