Question about soldering iron
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jhao19

New Head-Fier
Hi, after reading the DIY forums for a while, I've kept hearing the Hakko 936 is a good soldering station, but I can't seem to find it on amazon.  Instead, I find the aoyue 936.  Is this just as good?  Is there a better soldering station out there that I should consider?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 9
  Hi, after reading the DIY forums for a while, I've kept hearing the Hakko 936 is a good soldering station, but I can't seem to find it on amazon.  Instead, I find the aoyue 936.  Is this just as good?  Is there a better soldering station out there that I should consider?

The Hakko 936 got counterfeited so much that Hakko decided to quit making it.  The current model replacement for the Hakko 936 is the Hakko FX-888.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 9
I've always been a Weller man. My original just died (after 18 years of rough service) - replaced it with a new Weller WES51 - found it on Amazon for right at $100 shipped. Have been VERY happy with it since.  Great fast heat, ESD protected.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 9
  I've always been a Weller man. My original just died (after 18 years of rough service) - replaced it with a new Weller WES51 - found it on Amazon for right at $100 shipped. Have been VERY happy with it since.  Great fast heat, ESD protected.

I agree, I like the weller station I just bought. 

Also, it is nice to see another fredericksburg guy on the site 
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 9
  Can someone recommend a good soldering iron to do the iPod Classic diyMod?

This is what I use:

http://www.frys.com/product/1556283

Anyone not looking to spend a lot on an iron should consider it I think.  Granted I don't have a lot of experience with irons, so I can't say it's better than it's competition at that price, but I found it way better than the cheap irons in the Wal-Mart hardware section.  I let my roommate use it once and he remarked to me how much he liked it as well.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 9

Can someone recommend a good soldering iron to do the iPod Classic diyMod?

This is what I use:

http://www.frys.com/product/1556283

Anyone not looking to spend a lot on an iron should consider it I think.  Granted I don't have a lot of experience with irons, so I can't say it's better than it's competition at that price, but I found it way better than the cheap irons in the Wal-Mart hardware section.  I let my roommate use it once and he remarked to me how much he liked it as well.

Excellent choice!!!

IMHO, that's perhaps the finest quality soldering iron available for electronic circuit work.  A Hakko soldering station would be better, but for the price - it's simply one of the finest quality irons ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back