question about Smyth realiser
Jun 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tear_tio_ra

New Head-Fier
Hi there
I am not sure which subforum i should post my thread so i start in the amp section.

I read about the Smyth realiser and know that it will give headphone the performance of speaker. My question is whether the Smyth will produce EXACTLY the same sound of the speaker setup which has been collected as the data for the realiser or not.
if so, then it doesn't matter which headphones we will use for listening , right? because all of them will produce the same sound from the speaker data

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tear_tio_ra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there
I am not sure which subforum i should post my thread so i start in the amp section.

I read about the Smyth realiser and know that it will give headphone the performance of speaker. My question is whether the Smyth will produce EXACTLY the same sound of the speaker setup which has been collected as the data for the realiser or not.
if so, then it doesn't matter which headphones we will use for listening , right? because all of them will produce the same sound from the speaker data

I think many of us must have this question... but...

... from what I've read about it - you're right - its the "great equalizer." And... almost totally eliminates the need to carefully select headphones.

Though its very hard for me to believe.

You might want to post your question on the Realiser thread on the Headphone Forum - there seems to be be more activity there.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lon...rchase-418401/

Though... this is what I've surmised from reading the literature / posts about it and the SPL Phonitor amp. I don't know how accurate this is.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bes...te-amp-429615/

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Sorry, but the quality of the headphones and associated equipment matters a lot. I own a Realiser, and I would say I get about 80-85 percent of the sound quality of the $300K+ setup I borrowed to do my measurements. BUT, that's because I have a very good (although not state-of-the-art) headphone system, including hi-rez files and Pure Music on a Macbook Pro, W4S DAC-2, Mini Torii tube amp, and LCD-2 cans. You won't get excellent sound from crappy equipment--it's just not physically possible. However, the Realiser did save me from spending big $ on a massive 7.1 system, which neither my wife nor my bank account would have tolerated.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 4
I am using Foobar with ASIO, dolby headphone DSP, and channel Mixer DSP. This is supposed to be the "free" version of converting stereo to biaural recording for headphone and also increases the soundstage by 100x. With this settings and my Denon D5000, I was pretty surprised how well it stood up against the sens HD800 when I auditioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back