Question about smoking in houses and audio gear.
Dec 3, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 19
Run your finger across the inside of the windshield in a smoker's car. If it isn't cleaned often you will get a nice residue on your finger. That smoke does stick to things over time.

When I was a smoker I was always amazed when I would exhale indoors into a ray of sunshine coming in through a window. It made all of the smoke visible for minutes. When the sunshine isn't just right you can't see it so you forget how pervasive it is. So glad I quit.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 19
i think that the question is vague.

just like the break in debate, the damage from smoking is dependent on the gear it effects.

in terms of say a power amp i would expect no damage to occur.

in terms of a vinyl record left out, guess what happens when the smoke residue builds up in the grove? i dont think a layer of smoke residue on a cd would do it any good either.

in terms of a cd player, smoke on the lens? one of the things that the lens brushes claim to eliminate is smoke residue from the lens.

and finally we have drivers. in the case of a big speaker with a big paper cone, the weight of the smoke film will be negligable compared to the rest of the cone it sits on. in the case of a barely 1.5" heapdhone driver made of barely celophane....

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #18 of 19
The real issue is ventilation, not type of gear. If you chain smoke in a small unventilated room you're in trouble. Smoking in a well ventilated room will clearly not cause any problems.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real issue is ventilation, not type of gear. If you chain smoke in a small unventilated room you're in trouble. Smoking in a well ventilated room will clearly not cause any problems.

Just advertise your gear as "smells disgusting, may have tar residue internally" and you're all good
rolleyes.gif
Indoor smokers don't notice how disgusting their homes and cars are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back