Question about smoking in houses and audio gear.
Dec 2, 2006 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at rooms in a new town for my upcoming job. I found one place that is a great deal except one thing bothers me. They say that smoking indoors occurs. If I keep my room door closed will my belongings still acquire that very noticeable (and not pleasant) smell? I really hate to subject my audio gear to that.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it will, you could reduce/eliminate it using something like the Ionic Breeze.

no you can hurt the room and gear more using an Ionic breeze...

smoking in Gen will hurt anything it comes in contact with so be aware, esp you'll never get rid of the smell when you sell it to a non smoker.

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 19
This smoking and damage to equipment is grade A ******** in my opinion. I have a piece of equipment that has lived in a smoking household (and at one point a coal fire too) for nigh on 36 years is still working fine today. I don't need to look at the theory, or listen to this nonsense that smoking damages equipment..... it doesn't!

Oops, sorry! I didn't read the initial post which asks will smoking make your equipment smell..... yes, of course it will as will ******** on it. Use a damp cloth on it once in a while and you'll be fine.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 19
that's most unfortunate....you can always leave your gears at my place while you are away.
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 19
I personally wouldn't live in a house where other people smoked indoors. The smell just permeates everything, it's disgusting. When my parents bought their current house about 12 years ago, they got the seller to knock off quite a chunk because the previous owners were heavy smokers. The entire house needed to be repainted to get rid of the smell and smoke stains on the walls. One of the rooms (bathroom in the master bedroom) was never repainted because it has always been full of boxes, and you can still smell it after all this time.

I know people have posted examples of the internals of headphones that had been used in the homes of heavy smokers, and the results were not pretty. See if you can dig up the old threads with a search.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 19
Smoking really stinks up stuff. Expecially anything made of rubber or cloth. Metal is easier to clean, but the smell takes a loooooong time to go away.

I'd look elsewhere, if only for your health, along with your equipment.

I don't buy gear that has been in a smoking environment, unless it is all metal, and it's a great bargain. That's just my personal preference.

-Ed

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no you can hurt the room and gear more using an Ionic breeze...

smoking in Gen will hurt anything it comes in contact with so be aware, esp you'll never get rid of the smell when you sell it to a non smoker.

How exactly can "you hurt the ... gear more" using an Ionic Breeze?

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 19
My dad smokes inside and all my gear is fine. My dad never touches my stuff so maybe that's why they dont stink? I dunno if it stinks because I am use to it. I have sold many things here and never mentioned that they were in a "smoke" enviroment and no one has complained. I do admit however that I bought a pair of HD595's last year they stunk bad.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can smoking hurt audio gear besides smell? If you buy something that smell just leave it outside for a couple of days and it will be ok.

Do you think smoke just disappears? It's full of all sorts of particulates like tar, and heavy indoor smoking leaves a disgusting residue on everything. Read my comments above. Someone posted photos of the drivers in a pair of headphones they bought from a heavy smoker. I really wish I could find the thread -- it was absolutely foul.

Dec 3, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly can "you hurt the ... gear more" using an Ionic Breeze?

I believe the Ionic Breeze creates Ozone, a very important gas when it is in the upper atmosphere, but a gas that causes problems when at sea level in anything but trace amounts. Besides giving people with athsma problems, it is corrosive in general, so breathing it in for extended periods can diminish lung function. So it's corrosive nature could potentially damage equipment, I guess. Perhaps some chemists want to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back