question about sennheiser hd600
Apr 7, 2002 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yongson

New Head-Fier
I 'd like to buy a HD600, but don't know whether my receiver's headphone(0.5 volt/390 ohms)output is enough for it. I do love hd600! How about my receiver to hd590?

Apr 7, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 11
I suggest getting the HD600. You will not regret it. I love my 600 despite owning various others. Your receiver should be able to drive it loud enough, but having a headamp would get you further.
Since you've become a member here at headfi, a headamp will not be far away
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 11
Yes the HD600 are an exceptional pair of headphones, significantly better than the 590. What receiver do you own? Most of them will not do justice to the HD600s, although some of them have an specialized headphone amplifier (eg NAD) and are better (but still not as good as a seperate headphone amp).

On the other hand, the HD590 are of signifacantly lower impedance and much easier to drive, so an additional amplifer is not as important. Still, I wouldn't suggest getting these.

The HD580 is another option and is also very popular. I believe they use the same drivers as the HD600 and the main difference is in the case. The 580 is plastic, while the 600 uses carbon fiber and steel. Because of their similarities, they are quite similar sonically, but the difference is noticable, but some say that it does not influence music all that much. Being how I have never had the chance to compare them myself, I can't say whether or not this is true. I bought the HD 580s since they were $100 less.

More importantly though, is a headphone amplifier. I used a reciever with headphone output specs similar to yours and thought my 580s sound very good, until i got a seperate amp. The difference is really phenomenal. If you don't have the money to get the HD 600 and an amp, you could go for the 580 + amp. I think this would sound better the 600 without one. On the other hand, you could get the 600 now, and get an amp later.

Search the forum, there any many threads concerning this type of issue.

Apr 7, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Welcome to Team Sennheiser.
smily_headphones1.gif
Your bank account will be busy... So, how much are you willing to spend for a decent amp? around $350 is entry level, but you can get a small portable amp for much less.

Apr 8, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Welcome to Team Sennheiser.
smily_headphones1.gif
Your bank account will be busy... So, how much are you willing to spend for a decent amp? around $350 is entry level, but you can get a small portable amp for much less.

Don't scare the poor man away man.
wink.gif
Start him out /w PCDP along with a JMT ......he'll work his way up.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Well, if we're going with that theory - then shouldn't we all have bought Stax's when we first got into headphones? Hey, how come none of us don't have blockheads and such? Ahh....the $$ thing....

Plus, along with starting on the lower-end (which seems more practical to me), I've found that by slowly advancing your way up you develope a more sense of appreciation for your equipment as you can compare it to the previous models you had. Lower end stuff.

I don't know.....maybe just me then.
You go spend whatever you like.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jodokast
Well, if we're going with that theory - then shouldn't we all have bought Stax's when we first got into headphones?

Sure would have saved me some time and money.

Apr 8, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

why start with a JMT if you plan on getting better?

1) You can still use it as a portable amp even when you have your $3000 headphone amp.

2) They sound good, and having multiple amps (especially when that means being able to alternate between solid-state and tubes) prevents boredom and allows you to understand your system better.

Apr 8, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Well, if we're going with that theory - then shouldn't we all have bought Stax's when we first got into headphones?

Hmmm. Well I did. Now, in 2002 I sold my Stax and bought the Senn HD-600s.?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back