Question about Senn HD 555 Foam Mod
Apr 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

renergy

New Head-Fier
I'm picking up a used pair of 555's and am considering doing the foam mod. My only question is why Sennheiser put a large piece of foam in the first place that does nothing but make it sound worse? Does the foam have some other purpose that just doesn't work right or something?

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Some have speculated that it was an inexpensive way to make the 595 sound better than the 555... 

I'm sure I don't know the truth of it. It may be that they had some good reason for it, but it does not seem to degrade the sound any when removed. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd love to get more info on this. Frankly. I don't want to spend $500 on Sennheiser phones if their company is pulling cheap tactics like this. It just makes me lose faith in them as a higher end company. I can't get a firm answer at all one way or another though. I guess I could just call Senn and ask, but I kind of doubt they're going to tell me "yeah, we put some foam in there so we could charge another $100 for the 595's".

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
*shrug*

As I said, they may well have had a good reason. They are fantastic headphones regardless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back