Question about Schiit DACs
Aug 8, 2017 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WutDaFunk

New Head-Fier
I need some advice. As someone who doesn't use FLACs or files that differ in sample rates (I only use Spotify Premium), would it even be worth it to go with the Bifrost multibit or should I just get the regular 4490 version? I'm planning on getting a Jotunheim to go along with it, and pairing them with either the ZMF Atticus or Eikon. I also thought about getting a Mimby but I prefer to have a cleaner stack unless it's that much better. I tried searching for comparisons between the Mimby and Bifrost 4490 but there aren't many posts at all.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 10
I have not heard either version of the Bifrost. But the Modi Multibit sounds a lot better than DACs under $200, even with lossy files. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit are identical aside from the power supply, chassis, and ability to upgrade the latter in the future. Some have reported little to no difference in sound between them.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 10
I have not heard either version of the Bifrost. But the Modi Multibit sounds a lot better than DACs under $200, even with lossy files. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit are identical aside from the power supply, chassis, and ability to upgrade the latter in the future. Some have reported little to no difference in sound between them.

I dont think Modi can be upgraded. Isnt it USB3 vs USB5 on the Bifrost?

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 10
I dont think Modi can be upgraded. Isnt it USB3 vs USB5 on the Bifrost?

That is why I said the latter (Bifrost Multibit) has the ability to be upgraded. (Though it already comes with the Gen 5 USB input board, which is separate from actual USB specs, since USB 3.0 is as far as USB itself has evolved. I'm not sure which USB input board the Modi Multibit has. The listed USB input receiver is the same. I'm not a technical expert and don't even know what the difference between the board and receiver is.)

However, you'll have potentially less problems and better sound quality if you use TOSLINK or coaxial, anyway.

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 10
That is why I said the latter (Bifrost Multibit) has the ability to be upgraded. (Though it already comes with the Gen 5 USB input board, which is separate from actual USB specs, since USB 3.0 is as far as USB itself has evolved. I'm not sure which USB input board the Modi Multibit has. The listed USB input receiver is the same. I'm not a technical expert and don't even know what the difference between the board and receiver is.)

However, you'll have potentially less problems and better sound quality if you use TOSLINK or coaxial, anyway.

Modi does not has upgradable board.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
To answer the OP question Mimby will sound much better than 4490 Bifrost but then again to some ppl all DAC's appear to sound the same so only one way to find out ^^

And upgrades are pointless coz they're too pricey, might as well resell and buy again....possibly used coz Schiit owners always like to upgrade to the next model anyway :p

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 10
yeah, different DAC chips, different output stages, otherwise they're the same lol but I see that you're on a postcount quest so I'm sorry to interrupt.
idk, I thought they used the same 16 bit dac chips. I think the main difference is that the bifrost uses better matched resistors.

They both have the Analog Devices AD5547 DAC chip, and the analog stage for both is based on the AD8512. There might be minor differences that aren't explained in the specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back