question about online music services...
Oct 8, 2005 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

calvinhobs

100+ Head-Fier
I have an X5 and from what I understand I cannot use music downloaded from online services, such as yahoo music. Is this correct? It doesn't make sense that I wouldn't be able to download the music in MP3 format and not be able to transfer it over to my X5.

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 9
It makes perfect sense that in most cases you can't download music in unprotected/uncrippled MP3 format. As for iAudio not supporting DRMed files you gotta ask iAudio about that.
wink.gif

Well, there's always eMusic, AllofMP3, etc..

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 9
most online services don't use mp3, as mp3 doesn't support drm. most use wma (and aac for apple) because they support drm

there are sites like blessingx mentioned that will work fine with the X5 though, and also Cowon has said they were working on adding drm wma support with a firmware update

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 9
The X5L now ships with DRM support, apparently. I don't have any drm'd WMAs to test when mine comes though. You should download the latest firmware, I think.

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
most online services don't use mp3, as mp3 doesn't support drm. most use wma (and aac for apple) because they support drm

there are sites like blessingx mentioned that will work fine with the X5 though, and also Cowon has said they were working on adding drm wma support with a firmware update

So I can just join eMusic, for example, download the songs, move them onto my X5, and I'm good? Bare with me here...I'm new into all of this. If I can then great, I don't need to worry about Yahoo Music or Napster...

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Why aren't other threads about this matter deleted?

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Do your own research and come to your own conclusions. I'm not comfortable with the ambiguity (and there is ambiguity) about the issue of the use of Russian music downloading services as they're currently arranged.

So until I feel comfortable that these services actually are legal relative to how they're overwhelmingly being used, I don't want a site that is tied to me to be used to promote them, directly or indirectly.

In essence: Please don't discuss or promote them here for now. As per the request(s), I'll post a sticky post later saying the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back