Question about my amp's volume.
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

menwithouthats

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm asking here cause I'm concerned about my amp's volume being set so high. I have the volume nob positioned at around 4 O'clock, which is almost near max. Mind you I am not using a LOD. My mp3 source has its volume set at almost half. So my question is, is it normal for the amp to have its volume way close to max when the source is at half volume through the headphone out? And what do you your amp's volume set at when not using a LOD?

If i recall correctly, when using a LOD, the amp has full control of the volume, and the source is turned to 0. So if I was using a LOD, would the volume on my amp be turned down? I'm sorry for asking so many questions and thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Depends on the player, of course, but line-out generally puts out a hotter signal than the headphone jack. That means your amp doesn't need to produce as much gain, so you should be able to get the same volume from your cans with the volume knob at a lower setting. LOD outputs a better quality signal, too, so it's worth the purchase.

In the meantime, try setting your player's volume to around 80%, which is what I often see recommended. And don't worry so much about the amp's knob position. As long as it's not clipping, overheating, or damaging your hearing, you're not hurting anything.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the response guys, really helps to know that my amp is functioning as it should. I would be interested in getting a LOD, but it is only available to ipods, which i am not using. Also the reason i have my source's volume so low is because i want to save battery life, then say running the volume at max and killing my battery life. =/

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by menwithouthats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response guys, really helps to know that my amp is functioning as it should. I would be interested in getting a LOD, but it is only available to ipods, which i am not using. Also the reason i have my source's volume so low is because i want to save battery life, then say running the volume at max and killing my battery life. =/

You're unlikely to be using any significant amount of extra power pushing up the volume, while going into a headphone amp. Going into headphones is a different story...

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're unlikely to be using any significant amount of extra power pushing up the volume, while going into a headphone amp. Going into headphones is a different story...

Really?? I did not know this. Thank you very much for this info.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back