Question about mini to mini interconnect cable
Mar 11, 2010 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lasraik

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading up on how to build an interconnect, and although I'm a little overwhelmed with the hundreds and hundreds (literally) of pages giving details, I'm going through looking for materials.

My question is would I be able to use a cable like this: Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For High-End Audio, Parts and Accessories - Vampire 14-2 inwall Speaker Cable

Or does it have to be a speaker cable like this:
Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For High-End Audio, Parts and Accessories - Belden 1312A

From my understanding it's basically just two cables that are soldered into each side of the connector, right?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 10
the first one wont work...only half the conductors you need
second one is a bit large AWG for interconnects...you want something smaller, IMHO

I've used larger wire like the second choice and it was a bit too stiff for me...

look for something thinner like this...

interconnect.jpg

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi, sorry to hi-jack this thread, but i bought a Neglex W2549 cable which only has two conductors... Would it be a possibility to use 2 lenghts of cable as to have 4 conductors, i would then put a sleeve over the whole thing....

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 10
yeah, i'm scared it might not look too nice, either... oh well, now i've learned my lesson for next time...

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 10
There's a relative now telling me that i could use the shield as my ground by just fastening it down w/ the clamp and use the 2 conductors for the R/L channels....

Is this right? Somebody pls help me, because i just started to make a double cable for my mini-mini cable & it would be nicer looking w/ just a normal cable...

Thanks

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a relative now telling me that i could use the shield as my ground by just fastening it down w/ the clamp and use the 2 conductors for the R/L channels....

Is this right?

Yup.

Though you don't want to rely on just the clamp for contact. Ideally it should be soldered.

Good luck!

se

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 10
ok, thks a lot, so i think i'll just solder part of the shield to ground then...

Good, that means i don't need to buy another cable....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back