Question about making interconnects. A stupid idea came to mind.
Apr 22, 2007 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

DemonicAngelz

New Head-Fier
I was wondering has anyone made something like this:

Interconnect, mini jack to ipod line-out dock.
5 cables; 2 Pure silver and 3 OFC copper.

1 OFC copper used for grounding.
1 silver and 1 copper wire connected to a connector point (Left and right) each.
You get my meaning?

Wondering what sounds this setup would produce. Hope some resident gurus here whom have done this give some advice.
I think this its just a stupid idea of mine
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 25
some people like the results of "mixing" conductors, others HATE it.

in the end, all we can do as mortals on the lords earth is try it out and see what WE like for ourselves.

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some people like the results of "mixing" conductors, others HATE it.

in the end, all we can do as mortals on the lords earth is try it out and see what WE like for ourselves.

Would this setup create something like "Double sound" if I do it ? like you hear something twice?

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 25
i think a better way to describe it is a "controlled smear."

this is where the love/hate comes in. a "non-smeared" sound will tend to be harder, and edgier of course. a smeared sound looses that edge depending on how smeared it gets.. some people like this change, others dont.

in the end though building cables is inexpensive and pretty easy, so experiment and find what you like.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think a better way to describe it is a "controlled smear."

this is where the love/hate comes in. a "non-smeared" sound will tend to be harder, and edgier of course. a smeared sound looses that edge depending on how smeared it gets.. some people like this change, others dont.

in the end though building cables is inexpensive and pretty easy, so experiment and find what you like.

hm........ I think I shall try if I have spare time.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 25
As with all cables, the effect is greater the longer length you make the cables. The smear should be due largely to differences in transmission speed, which is most noticeable over long distances. Interesting project.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 25
You would have to have a pretty long cable before you would notice a double sound. Seeing as silver is extremely expensive, I doubt you will want to make that long of a cable if it is even practical.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering has anyone made something like this:

Interconnect, mini jack to ipod line-out dock.
5 cables; 2 Pure silver and 3 OFC copper.

1 OFC copper used for grounding.
1 silver and 1 copper wire connected to a connector point (Left and right) each.
You get my meaning?

Wondering what sounds this setup would produce. Hope some resident gurus here whom have done this give some advice.
I think this its just a stupid idea of mine
frown.gif

Pointless IMO as the sole-copper ground wire becomes the bottleneck (remember signal travels both way; the signal and ground terms are purely naming). If any, the ground connection needs the better conductors as it is handling the combined return signals.

Cheers!

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pointless IMO as the sole-copper ground wire becomes the bottleneck (remember signal travels both way; the signal and ground terms are purely naming). If any, the ground connection needs the better conductors as it is handling the combined return signals.

Cheers!

Interconnect from amp to mp3 need return signals? I din know.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 25
I think a swithcraft mini could accept 5 wires, and of course, a canare mini would be big enough.

Why not have 2 silver total for the signal and 3 copper for the ground? That would sort of balance out the impedances.

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 25
Let me quote what I was told at one stage as well:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis_Vaughan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One, you made the classic mistake of implicitly assuming that somehow the "signal" part of the cable is more important, and that the ground, is somehow less so. Ain't so. It is simply a matter of convention in what we call signal and ground. The electrical energy doesn't know you called what wire what, and it will obey the usual conservation laws and travel in each equally.

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me quote what I was told at one stage as well:

That would be true. I was thinking of that as well. Since the signal technically travels through the ground as well then the ground channel is equally as important as the signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back