Question about k1000 position
Nov 27, 2006 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

axky99

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone!! I want to collect all your suggestion and comments on the best listening position with K1000. My current k1000 position is those two earspeakers wide open all the way; it's nice sound stage but seems lack of dynamic. Please share your experiences!! Thank you advance for all your inputs here!!
k1000smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 16
I like mine about 1/4" open.

I used to have them wider, but the tonal balance is much better having them almost touching the ears. They have a smaller soundstage but still bigger than all other headhones.
k1000smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 16
I like mine 1.25" of the way open. I experimented with 1.5 and 1.0 but 1.25 provides the best combination of bass, dynamics and soundstage for me.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like mine so that I can slide my index finger (1.5 cm) inside the gap.

Whaddayaknow? I do the same thing.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like mine so that I can slide my index finger (1.5 cm) inside the gap.

x2

I don't like my k1000 very open..even when barely open the sound is quite spacious and the bass is to die for
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 16
angle/toe out: This is the variable that folks generally discuss. I used to strike a balance between stereophonic positional cues (more toe out) and bass response, settling on a thumb's width clearance. Since I started using a speaker amp (Portal Panache), the bass response has improved so much that this compromise is unnecessary. Currently, my ear speakers are nearly wide open.

headband position: You can move the headband fore (toward your nose) and aft over a fair range and still maintain a balanced and reasonably secure position. With the freedom of not having to preserve bass, I've been experimenting with this parameter and have found that as the headband is moved forward, there are noticeable pleasing alterations in spatial cues. If you go too far forward, the frequency response changes suddenly for the worse, so I back off a tad. Like I said, I'm still fiddling but at this point I am reasonably confident that a somewhat forward position affords more speaker-like imaging.

disclaimers: My audio discernment is special, just like yours.
redface.gif
I have no need to evangelize. Be an audio agnostic regarding other's audio opinions. I keep losing my focus on analyzing my equipment, due to distraction by the music.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
angle/toe out: This is the variable that folks generally discuss. I used to strike a balance between stereophonic positional cues (more toe out) and bass response, settling on a thumb's width clearance. Since I started using a speaker amp (Portal Panache), the bass response has improved so much that this compromise is unnecessary. Currently, my ear speakers are nearly wide open.

headband position: You can move the headband fore (toward your nose) and aft over a fair range and still maintain a balanced and reasonably secure position. With the freedom of not having to preserve bass, I've been experimenting with this parameter and have found that as the headband is moved forward, there are noticeable pleasing alterations in spatial cues. If you go too far forward, the frequency response changes suddenly for the worse, so I back off a tad. Like I said, I'm still fiddling but at this point I am reasonably confident that a somewhat forward position affords more speaker-like imaging.

disclaimers: My audio discernment is special, just like yours.
redface.gif
I have no need to evangelize. Be an audio agnostic regarding other's audio opinions. I keep losing my focus on analyzing my equipment, due to distraction by the music.
wink.gif

A good point about the bass response. Since I got the Aleph 30 the bass is so much stronger than before. Before the Aleph I was using the headphones about .5" out

With the earspeakers pushed all the way in the bass slam is insane.

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good point about the bass response. Since I got the Aleph 30 the bass is so much stronger than before. Before the Aleph I was using the headphones about .5" out

With the earspeakers pushed all the way in the bass slam is insane.

frown.gif
I need a new amp for these - I want that kind of bass.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm using Sony XA777ES for SACD, Cary 308T for redbook, and VPI Scout w/dynavector Karat for TT

My amp is Antique Sound Lab AQ1001DT with NOS input tubes.

I think I need one of the above mentioned amps to get more bass. My integrated sounds very good with them but it would be nice to have more bass too

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Rob, I think if you sold the RS-1, HD600s, K701s, and SR225s, you'd have a nice little pile of cash to upgrade your amp. It might not cover it entirely, but it's pretty good.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, I think if you sold the RS-1, HD600s, K701s, and SR225s, you'd have a nice little pile of cash to upgrade your amp. It might not cover it entirely, but it's pretty good.

That's what my plan is. I'm also going to sell off all my amps but my newly acquired Melos which sounds amazing BTW with my HP-2 and suprisingly good with my GS-1000.

My plan is to use the Melos as a passive pre-amp or for a dedicated amp to use with the K-1000s. That way everything goes through one pre-amp. I've just been really busy lately. So, I barely have time to just get some listening in everyday.

Sorry to get away from the topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back