Question About iPod's Sound Quality
Jan 30, 2003 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

patman657

100+ Head-Fier
It seems to be that the iPod is the must have MP3 player. Now, if I loaded it up (20 GB model) with a few CDs worth of 1,411 kbps WAV files (same quality as CD), how would it sound? I want a really good portable source to go with my good cans, but I don't really want to go around carrying 20 CDs. One tiny iPod is alot nicer, especially if the sound quality will be as good as a PCDP.

Jan 30, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by patman657
It seems to be that the iPod is the must have MP3 player. Now, if I loaded it up (20 GB model) with a few CDs worth of 1,411 kbps WAV files (same quality as CD), how would it sound? I want a really good portable source to go with my good cans, but I don't really want to go around carrying 20 CDs. One tiny iPod is alot nicer, especially if the sound quality will be as good as a PCDP.

Sound quality is excellent. Included ear buds are excellent, though the MX500 are better.

Though I recommend using Exact Audio Copy (EAC: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) with the LAME encoder (see link, here: http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/article.php?sid=120) using the "--alt-preset standard" switch.

This uses a variable bit rate, usually averaging around 160-192, and it is virtually indistinguishable from the original.

If you do this you can fit MANY times what you could with an uncompressed WAV file.

Jan 30, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by shaun3000
If you do this you can fit MANY times what you could with an uncompressed WAV file.

Not only that.. the battery life will approach the estimated 10 hours too. If you play uncompressed WAVs, you'll get significantly worse battery life since the hard drive will have to work more.

Jan 30, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 22
furthermore you should actually test to see if you can hear a difference between a LAME alt-preset mp3 and a wav. Chances are that you can't, not in a portable environment and not with the output quality of the ipod (which is very good for a portable). The only exceptions are that there are some mp3s which do not decode properly with the ipod's decoder, but those are very rare. The ipod's buffer is only 32mb, putting a 50-70MB wav will cause it to access its hard drive more than once for every song which will destroy its battery life.

Jan 31, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 22
I would not use .wav as mentioned by the other members here.

using 256K (lame) I could not tell the difference. Unless of course you have some superman ears that can hear frequencies that us mortals cant
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 22
I find that using the 192 VBR lame from Exact Audio Copy works great with my Ipod and Senn HD580s, can't go wrong with that kind of portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 22
I've searched far and wide to find the player with THE BEST sound quality and I haven't been able to find it. There has to be a definitive "best" portable player, or at least 2 or 3 of the top players to choose from. Anyone care to give their opinion?

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 22
If you want the best sound from an mp3 player:

(1) Creative Nomad Jukebox 3
(2) Creative Zen
(3) Apple iPod

The NJB3 is the best because it has a line out, so you can use it with an amp to improve the sound a bit. The headphone amp on both the NJB3 and the Zen are the same. They sound a bit better than the iPod, mainly better bass and more soundstage or dynamic separation (like the sound isn't so flat as on the iPod). The iPod still sounds very good though. I didn't really noticed the iPod's slightly flat sound until I compared it to a PCDP or NJB3.

However, putting wav files on an mp3 player IMO isn't practical.

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 22
How well does the NJ3 do with the VBR mp3's? I can get the NJ3 and the ipod 5 gig for the same price (plus or minus $10), and i know that the ipod plays the VBR's very well. That is going to be my main format because the difference in quality is negligable compared to a wav.

Feb 2, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 22
1.) My NJB3 hasn't had a problem with any of my VBR mp3s

2.) I was under the impression that the rio riot had better quality than the zen

3.) I agree with Peddler, who agrees with Taphil; NJB3 is an outstanding mp3 player

Feb 2, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 22
Really the Creative players have a better headphone amp than the iPod? Wow, that's impressive coming from an iPod owner.

Previously I had thought the iPod had the best headphone amp of any portable.

I still think the iPod looks the nicest.

Feb 2, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 22
I've been using 192 VBR with my iPod and they sound wonderful. I tried some higher bitrates, but didn't really notice the difference. In a portable enviorment I would call it CD quality sound.

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
Really the Creative players have a better headphone amp than the iPod? Wow, that's impressive coming from an iPod owner.

Previously I had thought the iPod had the best headphone amp of any portable.

I still think the iPod looks the nicest.

haha. no doubt. The NMJB3 looks like a toy and the zen.. well.. it looks like an 80s microcassette recorder.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 22
Somebody send me a NJB3. I'll let you know how it compares to the iPod. I'm sure they both sound very, good with the same media. I know the iPod sounds great. Besides rumors say a 40 gig iPod is coming out. Creative might as well close shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back