Question About iPod's Sound Quality
Feb 2, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Somebody send me a NJB3. I'll let you know how it compares to the iPod. I'm sure they both sound very, good with the same media. I know the iPod sounds great. Besides rumors say a 40 gig iPod is coming out. Creative might as well close shop.

Why? You can already get modified Zen's and NJB3's that are 60 gig's?

I like the iPod, but they need to make the battery removeable.

Feb 2, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Creative might as well close shop.

Capacity isn't the only thing Creative's players have over the iPod. Recording (optical and analog), voice recording, FM remote, price, queue, custom EQ, WMA support, replaceable hard drive, replaceable battery, slightly better headphone amp, line-out, USB (1.1. or 2.0), no battery bug...

The iPod is still great though. That said, I sold my iPod last week to get money to buy the new one supposedly coming out, or at least get the a new one for the same price I sold it.

Feb 2, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #18 of 22
I have both a 5 gig Ipod and a 20 gig NJB3. I think there are plusses and minuses to both. As for sound I think they are both very good and I have a hard time telling the difference between the output of either one -- especially through a headphone amp.

The Ipod wins out on size, the user interface, and pure coolness factor. However, the battery isn't replaceable and it is more expensive on a per meg basis.

The NJB3 is built like a tank, is much cheaper, has more features, and replaceable batteries. The size isn't that much of a factor -- I have a Headroom bag that holds the NJB3 and a META 42 quite nicely.

I have to say that my day in and day out player is the NJB3 but ocassionally I will grab the Ipod for a quick trip.

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 22
Originally posted by Taphil-

"Capacity isn't the only thing Creative's players have over the iPod. Recording (optical and analog), voice recording, FM remote, price, queue, custom EQ, WMA support, replaceable hard drive, replaceable battery, slightly better headphone amp, line-out, USB (1.1. or 2.0), no battery bug..."

Hi-

This statement is rather misleading... in it you're comparing favorable qualities from ALL of Creative's players against the Ipod.

I own an Ipod 10GB and a Creative Nomad 2 10GB. I can NOT tell a NOTICABLE difference in sound quality between them. Neither has recording capabilities, a line out jack, decent headphones/ ear buds. The Ipod has firewire, the Nomad USB 2.0. Both transfer at roughly the same speed (not EXACTLY the same speed, but close). Both come with way less than "perfect" software (IMO).

I bought the Nomad first. I had no issues with it, but for the fact that it was too big to fit into ANY of my pockets and I didn't want to ALWAYS carry a bag with me in order to listen to music. That was the ONLY reason I bought an Ipod. And, that is still the only reason I prefer it over the Nomad. All other comparisons aside, the Ipod is the smallest MP3/hardrive player for sale in the world.

I think that the only place that I can listen carefully to music is at home. When I'm driving or walking around I split my energy between listening and something else. So, for me portables need to be GOOD, but not necessarily PERFECT. When I'm listening at home, THAT is a different story. (End of my review/rant).

Zeldon

P.S. A side note to fellow Nomad 2 owners: Don't make the mistake of erasing the OS from the Nomad's firmware (like I did!) If you do, your unit will be visiting Stillwater, Oklahoma for servicing. For some unknown (read "we're not thinking here in Stillwater") reason, Creative has decided to make the firmware UNAVAILABLE to the public. On their website, you'll find d'loadable firmware for their other models, but not the Nomad 2. Sheesh

Feb 2, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by zeldon
This statement is rather misleading... in it you're comparing favorable qualities from ALL of Creative's players against the Ipod.

It's misleading if one doesn't read the rest of the thread and figure that I'm just listing the pros of the Creative players, though I should have clarified that I was talking about the NJB3. And everything on that list applies to the NJB3 except USB2.0. Sorry to be defensive, but every time I write something positive about the NJB3 over the ipod, someone nags at me, whether it be here, ipodlounge.com, or Apple's ipod forums (and I'm the freaking helper there too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back