Question about hearing loss -- ability to hear details vs. ability to hear a low decibel sound
Feb 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ag8908

500+ Head-Fier
This test measures your hearing not by testing the lowest decibel of sound you can hear, but rather by measuring whether you can spot details in a sound played at your usual decibel level.

http://www.audioclinic.com.au/online-hearing-test

Are these two abilities directly correlated, i.e. if you lose your ability to hear at a lower volume, you will also lose your ability to spot details in sounds played at your preferred volume? Or are they two completely different attributes and losing one doesn't mean you lost the other and vice versa.

By the way, I think hearing is very interesting from a biological/science perspective, right up there with vision and smell (touch clearly being the least interesting and most primitive sense in my humble opinion, lol).

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 4
  This test measures your hearing not by testing the lowest decibel of sound you can hear, but rather by measuring whether you can spot details in a sound played at your usual decibel level.

http://www.audioclinic.com.au/online-hearing-test

Are these two abilities directly correlated, i.e. if you lose your ability to hear at a lower volume, you will also lose your ability to spot details in sounds played at your preferred volume? Or are they two completely different attributes and losing one doesn't mean you lost the other and vice versa.

By the way, I think hearing is very interesting from a biological/science perspective, right up there with vision and smell (touch clearly being the least interesting and most primitive sense in my humble opinion, lol).

Usually higher frequencies are lost first, and these are the most important in identifying speech e.g. picking words out of noise (noise which isn't focused on higher frequencies).

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Interesting test, the noise in the test caused me to fail 2 numbers in normal listening level (I actually lowered my volume past my normal listening levels just to make sure).
Thankfully according to the test I am not recommended to hear a hearing aid :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back