Question about HeadRoom Total BitHead before purchasing.
Jan 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Vader815

New Head-Fier

First, I'd like to say I'm somewhat of a new audiophile (and this is my first post here after much searching), and have only purchased my first pair of real headphones a few months ago (senns 448's) but my question mostly has to do with tv audio, as I'm very confident it'll more than meet my needs for music. 

Basically, right now I can't afford a 5.1/7.1 setup, or even any decent speakers, so I've been using my senns through component cables, and the sound, quite frankly, isn't very good, and parts of the sound in films is really off (ones I'm very familiar with how they should sound) so I've been looking into potential ways to solve the issue. First, I was thinking of purchasing an entry level a/v receiver such as and get stereo into my headphones as almost all a/v receivers have headphone jacks. 

So, my questions are these: 

if I buy the HeadRoom Total BitHead would I be able to

A.) plug it in via USB into my PS3 then run my headphones out of the amp? 

B.) have the sound quality boosted substantially from the component cables into my headphones if A.) isn't possible?

C.) find an adaptor for the USB or any other adaptor for the tv (I have a Vizio XVT473SV) to get better audio into the amp to drive my senns? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 

-Vader

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I know it does a great job when USB plugged into a computer, and if you watch your movies on the laptop, it really sounds better than laptop audio.

Not at all sure about the PS3 USB port.  You can take the RCA stereo out via a standard cable to the mini audio jack into the amp, then your headphones.  This should work pretty good.  Same for audio out from the TV.   The adapter cord is ubiquitous now - a mini jack on one end, and a pair of RCA connectors on the other end.

I thing you will be amazed at how good sound can be from a decent amp/headphone over a built in appliance amp with the small TV speakers.

If possible on the PS3, try to find a setting to output only stereo, instead of the 5.1, unless you get some sort of AV amp.

Getting an AV amp (especially on the used market) will be a good option, allowing you to add speakers later on.  Used speakers for AV systems can be had pretty cheap as well.

Choices, choices.  Perhaps someone with a PS3 can chime in whether the USB jack will support USB audio devices.  If you at all do laptop audio and do any moving around the Total Bithead is a really nice unit, my son uses mine now.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 8

The BitHead is a fantastic unit and makes laptops sing like never before.  With a ps3, a mini-rca cable would be best.  This you can feed into the mini input of the bithead and go from there.  An amp in your case, especially something on the level of the BitHead will be quite a jump up in quality.  Welcome to HeadFi, and sorry about your wallet.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the response! I've done some searching based on your reply and at least as of a few years ago, the PS3 doesn't seem support any audio out to external devices. 

So it looks like I'll need what exactly for rca? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP or do you think http://www.amazon.com/Monster-THXIMINI8-THX-Certified-Adapter/dp/B00006YZ3Y would really be better? 

And then, just to be clear, I just plug my headphons into the amp and I'm good to go?

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 8

Either one will be fine and sound great.  I used some Radio Shack cables to connect my Bithead to the TV for Halo Reach and it was awesome.  SO IMPACTFUL it hurt... in a good way!

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Interesting question - and one I was able to quickly determine the answer to, as I have both the PS3 and Total Bithead (was just listening with it on the laptop, actually).  I could not get audio into the Bithead with any combination of options on the PS3.  It would pick up that it existed, as it was an available option for Audio I/O for voice chat, but it appears to be the only place it would see it.  In the normal System Audio Out, it only accepts HDMI, Optical, or the Sony A/V Combo out.  Nothing out of USB jacks.

As to how to get the audio to the Bithead, a few ways.  If you were to use the Sony A/V Combo, then a Female RCA --> Male 1/8" would work.  If you're using HDMI, you'll have to hope for either a Line Out on the TV, or more likely, a headphone jack.  You're then relying on whatever amp is internal to your TV, so good luck.

For the cables, in my experience, cables are mostly cables.  Feel free to peruse the Cable sub-forum (or whatever it's called now - been awhile) to see how much people spend for twisted bits of copper and silver wrapped in pretty rubber like compounds.  That being said, if the Monsters make you feel better, get them.  At $15, it's not going to break you.  Self image of ones gear plays a large part in how you think it sounds.

Enjoy the Total Bithead!  It's a great piece of gear, and makes listening to music on a computer bearable.  The constant hiss and pop from the onboard cards is horrible.  The TBH can drive headphones far beyond safe listening levels with ease, and is extremely crisp.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the response! I've done some searching based on your reply and at least as of a few years ago, the PS3 doesn't seem support any audio out to external devices. 

So it looks like I'll need what exactly for rca? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP or do you think http://www.amazon.com/Monster-THXIMINI8-THX-Certified-Adapter/dp/B00006YZ3Y would really be better? 

And then, just to be clear, I just plug my headphons into the amp and I'm good to go?

Good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back