Question about FLAC Files
Apr 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rezound Sound

100+ Head-Fier
Are they better than the file formats that iTunes has? I ask this because I just got an app on my phone and computer where I can convert the songs to FLAC format.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 12
It depends.

MP3 files are compressed, so you may be able to hear some differences (especially with more heavily compressed MP3 files). It depends a lot on the recording, the equipment you have, and most importantly, your hearing.

ALAC is Apple's equivalent to FLAC and is not compressed (lossless).

As for your app, converting from a lossy format (such as MP3) to a lossless one (FLAC/ALAC) will not improve the sound and will simply increase file size with no advantage.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
It depends.

MP3 files are compressed, so you may be able to hear some differences (especially with more heavily compressed MP3 files). It depends a lot on the recording, the equipment you have, and most importantly, your hearing.

As for your app, converting from a lossy format (such as MP3) to a lossless one (FLAC/ALAC) will not improve the sound and will simply increase file size with no advantage.

Okay, thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Most people don't detect a difference between properly encoded 256kps and anything higher, no matter the gear.  I'm one of those people.

That said, all of my prized music is encoded losslessly.  It's a mental thing, I suppose.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

To be anal: ALAC and FLAC are both lossless and compressed. WAV would be an example of an uncompressed and lossless file format.

Even though notice no difference between LAME VBR 256kbs and FLAC, I still get FLAC when possible. Makes me feel better.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

To be anal: ALAC and FLAC are both lossless and compressed. WAV would be an example of an uncompressed and lossless file format.

Even though notice no difference between LAME VBR 256kbs and FLAC, I still get FLAC when possible. Makes me feel better.

Agree, it makes you feel better, and won't cost anything. So why not just use lossless?

However i'm not that umm.. optimistic when it comes to difference between high end ss amps.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 12
I think if size is high priority, and its not going to be very analytical in use, for example outside, commuting etc. then high quality MP3 (320kbps) works well.
But when I'm listening at home, I prefer to use flac.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Won't get any more quality. Kind of like encoding a 300mb avi file to 10GB mkv isn't going to make it look any better.

What? Care to explain?

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

What? Care to explain?

You won't get any higher quality by converting a low quality file into a lossless format, as the new file will preserve the exact same audio present on the low quality file, only in a larger file, therefore wasting space for nothing. Conversions from lossless to lossy make some sense for people who use devices that don't support lossless formats, but converting from lossy to lossless is pointless in all regards.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

You won't get any higher quality by converting a low quality file into a lossless format, as the new file will preserve the exact same audio present on the low quality file, only in a larger file, therefore wasting space for nothing. Conversions from lossless to lossy make some sense for people who use devices that don't support lossless formats, but converting from lossy to lossless is pointless in all regards.

Thats what I understood as well, but not sure what was the context. When we talk about lossless rips, its from cd, not mp3.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

Thats what I understood as well, but not sure what was the context. When we talk about lossless rips, its from cd, not mp3.

Usually when people talk of lossless rips, that means it comes from at least the lowest denominator of "non compressed" sources, like CDs, Vynils and high resolution audio to any lossless format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back