Question about equalizers and amps
Feb 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kibble Fat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Forgive me for not knowing much (anything) about amps and what not, but I have a quick question: If I don't care about boosting volume much if at all, is there a plug in unit I could adjust the EQ on? I only ask this because the ipod classic I have has no such capability.

Does this exist? As I understand it, all these different amps will boost volume to some extent, but also alter the output EQ which is somewhat confusing, because in most of these mobile setups, hasn't the signal already gone through the player's amp?

cheers!
Eric

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 13
ok, on a scale of 1-10, how stupid is this question?

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 13
Look for 'EQ' under the settings menu on your ipod - that's the built-in equalizer. It's adjustable to some degree as you can pick a setting (e.g., classical), but you cannot adjust specific bandwidths as you can within iTunes or a separate signal processor. I use the iPod EQ make my RE2s usable with my portable set up as the SQ leaves something to be desired. It helps. I leave it off with my other 'phones.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 13
I've found all the ipod presets to be way too aggressive, all giving a ton of distortion or overdrive. Really terrible sounding.

Is no one interested in this because they just find a partable amp that makes their setup sound good and leave it at that, or because the small distortion equalizers might develop in their system? I can't find anything on portable analog (or digital) equalizers.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 13
To answer your question

No, there really is no good portable amp that has a full EQ built into it.

I would like one as well, the only one there is a KOSS model that is very cheap and adds a TON of hiss to the signal path.

I would love a high end quality portable amp with a FULL parametric EQ on it but this product simply does not exist.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 13
this right?

Amazon.com: Koss EQ50 3-Band Stereo Equalizer: Electronics

thats a shame. Does a quality full equalizer circuit just take up a lot of room? I still don't understand the lack of interest in such a device. If I've got it right, when you get a portable amp, you're basically picking a set EQ with the option of boosting volume... ?

If someone could explain or link me to something useful, I'd appreciate it!

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 13
If you like iPods and being able to EQ to your exact preference then I highly recommend seeking a 5.5G or earlier iPod where you can install Rockbox which is an alternate firmware to the stock Apple.

I just wish Apple would put a nice 10-band user adjustable EQ on the iPod.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibble Fat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this right?

Amazon.com: Koss EQ50 3-Band Stereo Equalizer: Electronics

thats a shame. Does a quality full equalizer circuit just take up a lot of room? I still don't understand the lack of interest in such a device. If I've got it right, when you get a portable amp, you're basically picking a set EQ with the option of boosting volume... ?

If someone could explain or link me to something useful, I'd appreciate it!

Yep that is the one, I bought it just to see if it worked well. The EQ does work but it makes it sound like your listening to a cassette tape there is so much hiss.

I have no idea why no one has made a high quality portable amp with a real EQ built in.

One portable amp practical devices XM5 has a bass boost and a treble boost. Mine should be here soon but all current reviews of it give it high praise on sound quality and features. This is the closest you can get to a high quality amp with an EQ.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 13
maybe I just need smoke as much as the hippies at apple. seriously

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 13
The cheapest way would be the recommended Rockbox solution -- another one a different DAP with built-in parametric EQ. My iAudio 7 has a quite useful semi-parametric 5-band EQ.

An external EQ of decent quality and space requirement would only be possible in the digital domain. But nowadays only few DAPs offer digital outputs, if any at all. This would call for something like a mini-Behringer with implicated A/D and D/A conversion -- hence additional signal degradation and space requirement.

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Ok, I think I get what you're saying.
beerchug.gif

Looking at the MX-5... *droooooool .... slurp*

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 13
if you don't own the PDP, or don't mind changing PDPs, the EQ on my Sony NWZ-A829 (which is sadly out of production, although the A7-- series should still be available, and is more or less identical, sans bluetooth (had only I known this at the time of purchase...)) sounds pretty realistic, of course a discrete unit is "better", but the Sony isn't overly aggresive (as I do agree on the ipod being somewhat quick to add gain)

I also remember Olympus' 20G player was said to have a good EQ and overall decent amp output, but I haven't seen or heard such a unit in years (think 2004)

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 13
yeah, I think I'll stick with my ipod. I've been surfing this forum pretty much all day trying to learn everything but I did leave out some of the more technical aspects of audio systems.

I am now really interested in getting a Meier XXS amp and building my own inter-connector for the 120 ipod classic I have. And I take back anything bad I've ever said about USPS. My headphones are already 25 miles from my residence here in michigan and they came all the way from the great state of California. Fact: their governor is a killing machine. Expedited shipping from Amazon is a good thing - highly recommended!

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself on the amp thing as I don't even have my headphones yet (NE-7Ms)! ha. To tell you the truth, I had never thought of listening to music as a hobby, but I do it at least 2 hrs every day. My ears deserve the best I can afford
jecklinsmile.gif

Has anyone tried the [6Gen iPod classic] - [Meier Audio XXS] - [Nuforce NE-7M] combo? Probably not, but its worth a shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back