Question about Darth Beyers.
Sep 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Palpatine

1000+ Head-Fier
Are the Darth Beyers to closed guitar heavy rock and metal headphones as Grados are to open rock and metal phones?
Are they controversial...or are people really seeing a wonderous change from stock into awesome audiophile quality rock phones?
Even at 80 ohms...or are people opting for the 300 or even 600 ohm variety.

For my headphone collection I am looking for the ultimate closed hard rock/metal phone for home use ( long cable and amp ). I also plan on getting SR 325is as well for open phones.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 17
Preeeety much yes. The 600 ohm deeps are the thing it appears. Too much $$ for poor me though I have heard pretty much every other type and model Darth.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 17
I don't think too may people here would say the Darth Beyers are 'audiophile' quality. They are friggin' bass monsters! Not accurate by any means.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 17
They're pretty controversial. I personally think they're horrible for the price. Like Monster Beats in terms of value. $400-$500 will get you some seriously sweet headphones, and Darths aren't among those.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks...looks like I will save up and get the D7000.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 17
It's hard to make a good closed headphone, apparently. For the $500 ballpark, you might be able to find a set of old ATH-W10VTGs, which are superb headphones.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks...looks like I will save up and get the D7000.

Also a bit controversial. I can't comment on those, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were to get the 600 ohm ones they won't be as bass heavy as a regular darth since the dt770/600 are known for the light bass compared to the other beyers.

Bass quantity isn't the issue.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 17
Every one of the MANY different types and models of Darth, have a different sound quality.
Too many peeps on here judge *all* Darths by just heresay or just after owning ONE particular model that they happened to not like.
Lots of happy Darth owners are on Head-Fi.
If someone posts anything -- good or bad -- at least also say what model you are talking about.
If you post just based on opinion or heresay, without ever actually owning or even hearing a Darth, then say that too, because your post is obviously actually quite worthless in that case.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 17
My DBs are indeed lovely to look at, and can be fun on the right material, but audiophile they are NOT! As my only set of closed cans, they do get some use just for that reason, but I generally like them for movies & gaming where accuracy isn't essential & the completely overblown bottom end can inject a bit of fun into things.

Here's some free Darth Beyer pr0n for ya...

mg.jpg

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Throw the Ultrasone Pro 900 in there too. Grado HF-1 and 2 would be sweet but they are semi open?

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Throw the Ultrasone Pro 900 in there too. Grado HF-1 and 2 would be sweet but they are semi open?

Very open.

My personal favorite sub-$1000 closed cans are Audio-Technica. Don't know about Denon, but I'm not huge on the Beyer or Ultrasone brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back