Question about "cooking" my headphones
Oct 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cloudbreaker

New Head-Fier
So I just bought a brand new pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s and right out of the box they sound absolutely amazing. I have heard, however, that they don't sound as good as they can until they've had about 50 hours of music played through them. So my question is, is it alright for my headphones to just let them play music all night long while I sleep and whatnot for like 8 hours at a time? Or will this hurt them? If so, what is the safest amount of time to let them continuously play music? Thanks guys!

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 5
why not just use them? listen to them evolve and enjoy the process...

I'm sure it's fine to just let them play, just seems silly to me

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
So I just bought a brand new pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s and right out of the box they sound absolutely amazing. I have heard, however, that they don't sound as good as they can until they've had about 50 hours of music played through them. So my question is, is it alright for my headphones to just let them play music all night long while I sleep and whatnot for like 8 hours at a time? Or will this hurt them? If so, what is the safest amount of time to let them continuously play music? Thanks guys!

Heya,

They're built to output sound forever. Just listen to them. Don't worry about burn-in. They'll do that magical whatever over time as you listen. You cannot hurt those headphones unless you plug them into something so ungodly powerful that it's capable of stopping your heart at the same time, and since you got the M50's, I'm pretty sure you don't have such a device to plug it into by default. You can play music forever through them. Go enjoy some music.

Very best,

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
is it alright for my headphones to just let them play music all night long while I sleep and whatnot for like 8 hours at a time? Or will this hurt them? If so, what is the safest amount of time to let them continuously play music? Thanks guys!

Leaving them playing music overnight is a personal choice. 
As the guys said, just use them regularly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back