Question about changing the connector shells of an aftermarket cable
Oct 27, 2014 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

clee290

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

So I purchased a cable from Lunashops for my SE215, initially as a backup, but has become my primary cable. Anyways, this is the cable that I bought. What I would like to do is replace the black connector shells (not the full connector, if possible) with a pair of shells from here. Can this be done easily? To be specific, I mean without the need of soldering. I'm hoping that I would be able to just pop the black ones off and then just put the new ones on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 8
  Pretty sure you have to desolder the connector to remove the shell.

Thanks for the reply! What exactly would need to be desoldered? Wouldn't I need to remove the shell so I can get access to the wires inside the connector?

Sorry for what may be dumb questions :p I'm new at messing with cables and such.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 8
  Thanks for the reply! What exactly would need to be desoldered? Wouldn't I need to remove the shell so I can get access to the wires inside the connector?

Sorry for what may be dumb questions :p I'm new at messing with cables and such.

I assume you twist the shell and it comes apart from the connector and runs down the wire. Unsolder the wires from the connector then you can remove the shell.

Have a look at this video, should be similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8QisKLYKk

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 8
  I assume you twist the shell and it comes apart from the connector and runs down the wire. Unsolder the wires from the connector then you can remove the shell.

Have a look at this video, should be similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8QisKLYKk

I'm actually referring to the connectors that plug into the IEMs, not the headphone jack. 

As you can see in the photo below, the shells are in 2 pieces.

Do you think it would be the same process as removing the headphone jack connector shell?

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 8
I think you might find those are epoxied together but hopefully not. Since they are the same MFG with only a different colour, it should not be a problem to change out the black ones. But you might have to carefully break the plastic to get them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back