Question about bit perfect playback on Mac Book Pro
Jul 21, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

britishbane

500+ Head-Fier
Now that I've gotten the recording aspect down (If anyone read my earlier post I had to use the newest version of audacity to record in 24 bit) I'm looking towards playback. My question is this how do I get the best possible playback given the following equipment: Intel MBP, Edirol AU-1EX, Gilmore Lite, and ?Which Playback Software?. As I understand it I have to use the optical mini output of my MBP to achieve bit-perfect playback, correct?

Also which software should I use for playback? iTunes, Foobar, or something else?

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm using the optical out of the MACBOOK PRO to an INTEGRA 10.5
using I-Tunes with good results. Also check your settings in the midi player.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 9
I know you get bit-perfect audio through the MacBook Pro's optical out, when playing back through iTunes (Crossback, Sound Enhancer and Sound Check turned off).
Not sure if its bit-perfect using a different software for playback, or through USB.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 9
like they said. it's easy to get bit perfect out of mac
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
My iMac has a digital out (non optical) that I *believe* can be connected to a DAC.

The plug itself is physically the same as a 1/8" headphone plug.

Is there a cable that I can use to go from that 1/8" connection to the RCA digital in on a DAC? Rather, I am sure that there is but I don't know where to start looking
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 9
whaleyboy. Are you certain you don't talk about the 1/8" combined headphone out and optical out connect? Cause afaik the iMac have the same optical out as other Mac's...

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you gents
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you gents
wink.gif

You're most welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back