Question about Beyer DT770s
Sep 23, 2005 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

muckshot

100+ Head-Fier
I've noticed there seems to be 4 versions of the Beyerdynamics DT770 headphone: the original 600ohm version, the Pro 250 ohm version, the Pro 80 ohm version and the "M" version also at 80 ohms.

I've read in these forums that some people find that the Pro 80ohm version to have superior performance over the 250 ohm version, not to mention that it is easier to drive. What's the consensus on this?

Mainly I'm curious about the 'new' DT 770s, the "M" version released 2003 so far as I know. I've read they were designed specifically for drummers and FOH monitoring. Now are these actually different that the other DT770s/80? Do they sound much flatter than the non-"M" version? It think the "M"s also have black material (instead of the standard 770 grey) on the interior of the cans?

I'm looking to get a pair of 770s, mainly to get that added stab in the low end, so I don't want to spend a mad amount of money on the 'wrong' 770s if there is a significant difference. I want a fun lively headphone for listening to music, not flat EQ'd studio reference cans. Thanks for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 11
The Ms have a volume control, you don't want those. The "PRO" series is set up for smaller heads, the non pro fits better if you're of the larger headed variety. 80s are easier to get greater volume from, but both the 250s and the 80s need amps to have bass that isn't flabby.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 11
My understanding of the "M" is that it is isolation oriented. In other words it's filled with extreme damping and probably will sound the worst of the four. It also has the cheesy, sweaty pleather pads rather than the velour. It is an 80 ohm driver though, so probably exactly the same as the 770/80 sans the damping. It can most likely be taken out though, but you'd still be stuck with the cheese pads
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Hey, thanks for the information, clears things up quite a bit. I went over to Headroom about a week back in search of DT770/80s and emailed them as they only listed the 250ohm Pros. They promptly responded that yes, they did have the 80 ohm version, the DT770 "M". Now I'm glad I didn't go for it as returning them from Canada would have been costly, so thanks again guys.

Pleather sounds awful... have there been any non-"M" versions that had black velour instead of grey?

Hey Xanadu777, I've been to your site after reading about 'Darth Beyer' mods. I searched the forums, somewhat lazily, and couldn't figure out what exactly getting 770s 'Darth Beyered' meant? Could you will me in?

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't believe he's allowed to answer questions like that, but I can. Darth Beyering is where he recables the headphones, and in the process, tweaks things so that the frequency response is more balanced, mellowing the highs and increasing the mids somewhat, while still keeping those great monsterous lows. At the same time, a number of people get the cups replaced with wood of one variety or another.

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
couldn't figure out what exactly getting 770s 'Darth Beyered' meant? Could you will me in?

Woody, recable and the Head-Fi slogan "Sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I don't believe he's allowed to answer questions like that, but I can. Darth Beyering is where he recables the headphones, and in the process, tweaks things so that the frequency response is more balanced, mellowing the highs and increasing the mids somewhat, while still keeping those great monsterous lows. At the same time, a number of people get the cups replaced with wood of one variety or another.

Whoa, sounds nuts... in a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the way those 770s look with the wood cups, real nice indeed.
Thanks again for the info.

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Woody, recable and the Head-Fi slogan "Sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna be the sorry one for ever having come across this damn forum!!
haha, thanks.

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 11
"have there been any non-"M" versions that had black velour instead of grey?"

There was a "special edition" 770 that was silver and had black pads. Other than that, you can take the grey ones, and dye them. They are very dye friendly, and it is easy to do.

- augustwest

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 11
just wanted to add that the pro darth beyers i've now got are fine on my fairly large head.. i was worried about it, but really its a no brainer. As with my DT250s the very top of the head was feeling a bit of pressure after a while.. after reading on here i unbuttoned the headband (nice to be able to) and moved a rubber stopper from the top of my head to the ear cups.. back together and they're now really comfortable, long term...

The clamping force is not too severe.. any additions here are going to surely help bass performance..

All I'm all, they are very comfortable..

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 11
I can't stop thinkning about these headphones! I'll have to measure my head, I've got no idea if it's big or not, haha. I've been told it's big, but I'm pretty sure those remarks were more about my character than my looks
tongue.gif

Anyhow, another Head-fi memeber brought to my attention that Beyerdynamics also has a new 250 ohm DT770 listed here on their website.

Aside from the cosmetic changes all the specs seem to be the same as the old 250 ohm version. Does anyone know if there is a change in sound or the engineering of these new 770s, or is it simply a fashion update? I sorta like the rugged 80s look of the old ones to be honest.

If these 770s are differnt in sound, how do the compare to the older (and increasingly difficult to find) 80 ohm version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back