Question about Audiolab M-DAC
Jan 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidc2

Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to have both balanced and unbalanced outputs on the M-DAC active at the same time (as you can with the DacMagic)? (I've read the M-DAC's manual and I couldn't find the answer there).

I have x2 sources - digital out from an ASUS Essence STX for all web related content and a digital out from a Cambridge 650C CD player.  Both go into a DacMagic.  Then the outputs from the DacMagic are - 1. XLR to x2 Genelec 8020As and Subwoofer and 2. Phono to a Graham Slee Novo headphone amp and thence to HD 650s and Grado RS1is.

All bits of this set up play nicely with each other and I am only going to change my DacMagic if I can get a little more clarity at the top end with the Genelecs.  But I don't want to find that the M-DAC doesn't have the same connectivity ofas the DacMagic.  I'm not changing the CD player as it's a new purchase - it's the DAC I have in my sights.  I will almost certainly continue to use the Novo as my headphone amp.  Grateful for help on this.

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 7
new questions:

• for the Audiolab M-DAC to operate through an American 120v outlet, do you need any modifications to the power strip?  
  • or will the version thorugh planet of Sound Canada work fine out of the box?

thanks.

-------------------

in subsequent research, i found the answers to be:

• no
  • yes

(i'm pretty sure)

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 7
another question:

what's the most favorable way, for less than $100, to connect an MDAC to a MacBook Pro?

optical cable with minitoslink one end and toslink the other? toslink/toslink plus a converter? another way?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back