Question about Audio Technica
Jul 31, 2006 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

russdog

500+ Head-Fier
I have enjoyed seeing online photographs of various Audio Technica's. The models with wood and leather cups are especially beautiful. I appreciate it when people go to the trouble to make beautiful things. I'm curious about how much of the value of these items are about the aesthetics of looking at them and touching them (vs. listening to them). I know there is probably not a simple answer to this, but I am interested in the opinions of people who have actually lived with these products.

Disclaimer: I think it's fine for things to cost more simply because they are beautiful. I think it is *not* necessary to say "Oh, they sound so much better." I can easily imagine that someone might find that one of these items have sound comparable to a less expensive headphone and decide that they are worth more because they are nice to look at and nice to touch. So, I'm not trying to start a "Are they worth it?" debate. For example, the Bentley Continentals are expensive cars, and cheaper cars can perform as well or better. But cheaper cars don't feel the same when you sit in them, and they don't look nearly as nice when you walk up to them.

So, I'm just curious, not argumentative. Here's what I'd like to know... IF you have really listened to the L3000's and the W5000's...

If they were butt-ugly instead of beautiful...
1. How much of your enjoyment of having them and handling them would be lost?
2. Which phones do they most sound like?

Also, I can't afford these things, so this question doesn't really matter, but... is it true that these things are not readily available here, that you have to get them gray-marketed from Japan? (I know the L3000's are out of production, but when they were...)

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Actually i dont really enjoy handling my W5000 because i worry to get the wood scratched or damaged by accident. They are beautiful but i really dont care, i would prefer a less beautiful design to throw them around without worrying
biggrin.gif

Yes you can only import them, but i read headroom is going to stock them (someday?)..

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
If they were butt-ugly instead of beautiful...
1. How much of your enjoyment of having them and handling them would be lost?
2. Which phones do they most sound like?

Also, I can't afford these things, so this question doesn't really matter, but... is it true that these things are not readily available here, that you have to get them gray-marketed from Japan? (I know the L3000's are out of production, but when they were...)

Based purely on sound quality of what's I've auditioned/owned - ignoring looks - the L3000 are my favorite headphone and the W11JPN are 3rd or 2nd (along with the Grado Hp2). The W2002 are also pretty well up there, top 5. You can check my profile to see what I've owned; I've also heard the Omega II w/ KGSS on several occasions. I'm a huge fan of the high end AT sound and these cans' prices are worth it to me on sound alone. I consider the exquisite finish, design, and build of these headphones as an awesome bonus. IMO there's nothing out there that can touch the finish of the AT headphones (ok: Sony R10 is a probable exception).

I think when a company takes as much care into developing the sound of 'phones such as these, they're going to take equal care with the look and finish as well - it doesn't make sense not to. AT seems equally skilled at developing world class sonics, designs, and finishes. Other companies are pretty obviously deficient in one or more of these areas
tongue.gif

What other headphones do they sound like? Well, the AT's are like a bag of skittels. Many colors, many flavors
tongue.gif
Still, they maintain some common AT-style characteristics between the high end W and L series models. I now have the ability to extensively compare the L3000 to the W11JPN, but initial impressions are that the AT W11JPN is to the L3000 what the Sennheiser HD600 is to the HD650 (with a few exceptions, like forwardness of vocals) - just that the L3000 and W11JPN are playing on a much higher level than the Senns in my system. For one, they are way smoother - none of the grain that's bothersome on the 650 and irritating on the 600. One consequence of this is that vocals are MUCH more transparent. Anyways, lots of us have written plenty of the sound on the L3000 and W11JPN. Check out markl's recent review on the L3000. You can search his history and see his reviews on plenty of other headphones, too.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Just like searching for a partner, in this case a partner for those polygamy ears:
1. The look: Wood & leather can be an attractive mix that gets one noticed
2. The negative: Generally it is the maintenance (cost) associated with the look which far outweights the positive points, though at times the look can also serve to cloud ones reality and sanity.
3. The positive: Doing what it is born (built) to do too well. The whimpering plastic's fate was sealed once they (W5000) were connected into a source and started to massage the ear drums.
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Well the look and craftsmanship of these headphones is certainly part of the appeal. If they looked like low end Grados, they'd still be my favorite headphones, based on sound, but it would not be quite the same in terms of feeling that they are very special items (as they would just be some parts tossed together a la Grado).

Similar sound? To me, the closest sounding headphone to the W5000 is the R10. They have a similar overall balance of sounds, are both very detailed, and project more soundstage than you'd expect from a closed headphone. They certainly have some differences, but I can think of no more similar sounding headphone that I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back