Question about an MP3-CD player
Jul 23, 2002 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

attnet

Head-Fier
Has anyone ever owned, or at least heard, the Aiwa XP-Z5C MP3/CD Player? In the specs it says it has a 16 bit DAC! I'm able to pick this up for about $70 which includes a car kit. Only problem I see is that it can't read ID3 tags. So, anyone?

And, BTW, what EXACTLY is better about a 16bit DAC (like in comparison to a 1bit)? I know it's better, but why? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 7

Joe Bloggs

Member of the Trade: HiBy / EFO technologies Co
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
Quote:

I know it's better

Not necessarily.

If you don't know anything about the internals of this player other than that it's got a 16bit DAC (which AFAIK means next to nothing), it's better to audition different mp3 CD players and base your buying decision on what your ears tell you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 7

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
attnet: The player doesn't look too impressive in reality. First impressions will follow, as soon as I find the time for some listening...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 27, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 7

lini

So far quite good, I'd say (after the 1st cd). The sound seems fairly good right out of the box and better than the SL-CT570A to my ears. Juicy line-out. EQ works on line-out, too, but I listened flat. Couldn't spot any obvious sonic flaws, yet. The product designers could have done a better job, though, because extracting a cd from the player is not the easiest job...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 28, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 7

attnet

Head-Fier
Cool. I'm wondering if this player displays ID3 tags by any chance? Also, are there any issues with hiss, etc? And what about compatibility with MP3-CD's in various formats (closed, open, multi-session, etc)? I know this is a lot to ask, but this Panasonic is really pissing me off right now. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 7

lini

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask about mp3-stuff, because I haven't got any mp3s. But as the display is not a dot-graphics-type, I wouldn't exspect a lot of ID3 tagging there... My main problem is still ease of use, though: It's really awkward to remove a cd from the unit - and in addition, I've compared the line-out to my old Sanyo CDP-55A, now, and the Aiwa seems rather weak and bodiless in comparision... So the 16 bit dac doesn't help a lot. My next try will probably be a D-EJ955 - and then I'll give up and get the Maratz PSD-220...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread