Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Aug 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 883

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about my next headphone and amp. upgrade.

I want to listen to the SR-009 headphones first, which I haven't had a chance to yet.

But if I do get a chance to listen to them and decide that is the next step in my upgrade path.

Are there any balanced tube amps. that are auto-biasing?

I know on the Blue Hawaii, you need to get a tube tester and adjust the biasing occasionally.

I am pretty lazy on these kind of things and just want to get one which has all those maintanance features built in.

Does Stax have any amps. with auto biasing  built in?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 883
Not to my knowledge.  Biasing is pretty easy to do with a DMM, there are instructions if you search the Stax thread.  You just put the probes in the correct places and turn the trimpots with something like a small screwdriver until you get suitable values.

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 883
Have you considered the WES amp from Woo Audio ? That and the Blue Hawaii are the best that I am aware of. Just taken delivery of my WES with upgraded tubes and capacitors, and now just waiting for the arrival of the SR-009s !!! Using the WES with the Omega II Mk1 for the time being - vast improvement on the SR-007t !!

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 883

Quote:
Have you considered the WES amp from Woo Audio ? That and the Blue Hawaii are the best that I am aware of. Just taken delivery of my WES with upgraded tubes and capacitors, and now just waiting for the arrival of the SR-009s !!! Using the WES with the Omega II Mk1 for the time being - vast improvement on the SR-007t !!

Agree, it seems that most people are happy with either one of those amps, personally i would get the WES.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 883
You live in a place where you are likely to have an option to view something like this (Woo GES, Blue Hawaii, KGSS):

Seeing a WES, BHSE. KGSSHV (or KGSS if not), and a few others that are around (or on the way) should be possible at RMAF. Spend the few $$$ on travel and experience to save mid $,$$$ on a poor amp choice FOR YOUR PREFERENCE. No written recommendations, informed or otherwise, can answer this for you. And, be prepared for a source upgrade once you spend $$,$$$ on a headphone and amp.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 883
Dera friend,
Having heard both, I would get the WES for the 009 and the BHSE for the 007. The 009 feels brighter than it should on the BHSE for my liking and the 007 feels too dark on the WES. But that's just me. You may be looking for something different than I am.
Regards,
Erico 

Quote:
Agree, it seems that most people are happy with either one of those amps, personally i would get the WES.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 883
Agree with ericohgb regarding the 007s sounding a little too dark on the WES. Also, the SRM-007t seems underpowered to drive the 007s (seem veiled and lacking in impact) so might have to give the BHSE a go. I think the 007s (Mk.1) must be very dependent on the amp used to drive them - I'm sure I have never got the best out of them with my existing set up. Seems odd to have to consider non-Stax amps to get the best out of their headphones when they push their own amps to partner them !!! Hopefully, the SR-009s will be a perfect match for the maxed out WES.

Quote:
Dera friend,
Having heard both, I would get the WES for the 009 and the BHSE for the 007. The 009 feels brighter than it should on the BHSE for my liking and the 007 feels too dark on the WES. But that's just me. You may be looking for something different than I am.
Regards,
Erico 

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 883
Hello, 

I am new here and may would ask if anybody had the chance to listen the SR-009 with an WooAudio GES? The WES must sound better, but is the price difference worth 3500 USD? 
And I would like to drive as well an HE 60 with the GES. You think it sound better then the terrible HEV 70?
Thank you, 

Gunter

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 883
LL is going to be priced over 4k according to the thread in this forum, which puts it close to the price of the WES/BHSE.

DIY, used KGSS, or used/new stax equipment is the only stuff priced around or under 1500 that I am aware of other than the aforementioned GES.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 883

Quote:
LL is going to be priced over 4k according to the thread in this forum, which puts it close to the price of the WES/BHSE.

DIY, used KGSS, or used/new stax equipment is the only stuff priced around or under 1500 that I am aware of other than the aforementioned GES.

do you think the LL is gonna perform less than the WES/BHSE then?

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 883
I won't presume to answer that question as I have not heard any of the amps in question.

I am a DIY person, so would never really consider buying any of these amps. I have built myself a KGSSHV, and am in the early stages of building a DIY T2, so that should probably tell you whose designs I trust the most.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 883
I am waiting for the Liquid Lightning to come out and pair with the 009's. The WES and BHSE are both tube amps and for the most part will run you over 6K and that's for starters. Imo I would want the upgraded pot with the BHSE because of how hot that amp runs, as with most KG electrostatic tube amps.
So yes there would be a big price difference between these amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back