Question about amps and computers
May 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jube

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the audiophile world. I got a pair of HD600's almost two years ago and really like them. They sound great to me, but then again I'm new to the audiophile world and the best thing I heard before were some $50 Ultimate Ear earbuds. I'm concerned whether I'm getting the full potential out of the HD600's.

When I got them I also received a headphone amplifier (Headroom Airhead) but didn't really understand the purpose. I thought the sole purpose of an amplifier was to make the headphones louder, but I though the headphones were already sufficiently loud so I figured I didn't need it. I've been listening to the headphones just through my computer's 3.5mm plug. Now I understand that the amplifier also makes a difference in the sound quality.

I only use my HD600's when I'm at my computer, which is a Dell XPS Laptop with an average sound card (I think. I payed extra for an upgraded "sound card" but turns out the sound card wasn't upgraded, just the software was). The Airhead has a 3.5mm jack for input, which I connect to my laptop's headphone out plug. My question is will this still provide adequate sound quality OR would I be better off getting a Headroom Bithead which plugs into the USB, thereby skipping the sound card completely (if my understanding is correct) and converting digital to analog in the bithead. I don't want to spend more than 150 on a headphone amp if there are better alternatives to the Headroom Bithead.

Thanks

May 13, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm not a pro at all, but sounds like you need a combined dac/amp rather than an amp only. As I understand it you are now listening directly out of your laptop. If I do that and then compare to listening through the D4 dac/amp the diference is huge, not even comparable. I would recommend a dac/amp to skip the laptop sound card. But - my D4 is not enough for HD650, not sure with HD600 though. I'm now looking at the Nuforce HDP, maybe take a look at that one?

Edit: Sorry for not commenting on the Head room products, have no experience with them. But in short - dac/amp is the way to go :)

May 13, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 13
Yeah a DAC would certainly help (laptop integrated sound is abysmal in general and I know for sure that Dell is among the worst offenders)... Not sure whether the Amp is any good or whether a DACAmp would be better, though. I would first figure out if the amp is any good, then go decide whether you want a DAC only or a DACAmp

May 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 13
A DAC would be a big help. I don't know about the Headroom Bithead personally but it appears to be able to function as an amp/DAC combo. One review I read had a person driving some AKG 702s with one. That would be impressive at $150. I really don't expect much of an amp or DAC in that price range. It should clean up the sound of the computer and be an improvement over the line out jack. Just don't expect to be blown away by the sound of this amp/DAC. I don't know of any other options in that price range. More expensive options might be "The Predator" which is a portable USB DAC/Amp combo from Ray Samuels Audio. If portability isn't necessary you could also do something like a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic and an amp. If you decide to pull the trigger on the Bithead please post your results.

May 16, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 13
Oh wow, those DACs/amps get pretty expensive pretty fast, easily more expensive than my headphones
frown.gif

Trentino, if your D4 wasn't enough to power your HD650's then I'm guessing it probably won't be enough to power the HD600's since they're very similar headphones and have the same resistance, if that's valid reasoning. Which leads me to believe that if the D4 can't bring enough power, the budget Bithead probably can't bring enough power either.

I forgot to specify that portability is somewhat important. The NuForce HDP and Predator look like if I bought either I wouldn't ever have the need to upgrade
bigsmile_face.gif
. After what I hear I think I'm going to consider a high quality DAC like on of these.

Thanks for the advice. As of right now the fat price tag means I'm probably going to save up for a nicer DAC and buy one in the (hopefully near) future. In the meantime I think I'll use an external soundcard with the amp I already have. I'll keep you posted on how it compares.

May 16, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 13
I think dfkt reported that the FiiO E7 was able to power his HD600 quite nicely and that is supposed to sell for 80-90USD when it finally hits the market...

May 16, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 13
^ Yeah he did, I ordered one, TWO MONTHS AGO, Still back ordered....

May 17, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 13
I just looked up a video and review and wow, it looks pretty promising. Blasto_Brandino, where do you order one from? DealExtreme? I think I might do the same

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34383

May 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 13
Yep I ordered mine from dealextreme (taking sooo long!)

May 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought the sole purpose of an amplifier was to make the headphones louder, but I though the headphones were already sufficiently loud so I figured I didn't need it.

In theory that's all an amp does.  In practice, it's difficult to accurately output a complex waveform into a load of varying impedance like a pair of headphones.  The better an amp the more closely it's output waveform will match its input waveform, despite continually changing electrical characteristics of the headphones or speakers.

May 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 13
FiiO E7s are going to be arriving in the US within the week, so it may be a better alternative to ordering from overseas and waiting.

I have an E7 that I  use regularly with my Dell Studio XPS 13 notebook so I can sympathize with the OP regarding the quality of the Dell's headphone output.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 13

Update:
I went to CanJam2010 and had a chance to try the Headroom Bithead with various cans. I also was able to talk to the Headroom guys about it. I have to say that I didn't expect it to perform so well. It seemed to have an adequate DAC and a good amp to drive most cans well. It even got decent sound out of the HD800s(don't buy this for HD800s). While I'm not going to trade in my Woo Audio 6 on one I have gained new respect for these small lightweight inexpensive devices.
Here are some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back