Question about amp volume
Mar 11, 2008 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tight_budget

Head-Fier
Previously my CD player was connected directly to the headamp via the analog outs. Recently I changed the configuration to this -- cdp -> Integrated receiver -> headamp, via the receiver's TAPE OUT. However, this caused the volume on the headamp to drop significantly. Why?

Zero volume is at 8 oclock position, and I used to listen at 10 or 11 oclock. Now I have to turn it up to 4 or 5 oclock, almost to the limit!

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Maybe the tape out on your receiver is controlled by the volume knob on your receiver -- in which case, you would have to simply turn it up -- but, if so, it means a possible loss of SQ, due to more amp circuitry between the source and the cans, compared to directly thru the headphone amp.
Actually, it could be defeating the headphone amp's purpose, which is theoretically the best possible SQ for your cans.
Similar to amping from a headphone jack, instead of a line-out?
If the tape out is volume controlled, maybe there is another set of outputs that are directly out, and not going thru amp circuitry?
Some units have both types of outputs.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 5
IIRC, the "Tape Out" from a receiver is a line-level output that is not affected by the volume control on the amp. Try the "Aux" output if you have one on your receiver.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 5
On Most receivers the tape output is just a pass-through, meaning it doesn't run thrugh the preamp, just off of the line in's and out the jacks. This means that it could be getting loaded down.

I would check the output level (in mV) and the output impedance, and try to match it to the headamp's input impedance. If there's a mismatch, volume will be reduced and SQ may suffer, especially in the treble region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back