Quest to find the perfect IE for me
Jul 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Roboturner913

100+ Head-Fier
Been reading the site for a while, just signed up and thought I would share my headphone "odyssey" if you will.

For some time, I have been looking for a pair of IE's that I really liked. My first pair of IE's was the Sony EX-51LP a few years back. Those had ridiculous cave-in-your-skull kind of bass and so I got hooked into that sound. So much so that my at-home cans are the Sony XB500....and I EQ the bass up a few notches.

Anyway, the EX-51's kicked the bucket after a year or so and I tried several other Sony models to replace them but never could find one that captured that same sound. Tried the Klipsch S3 and S4, several Skullcandys, Yamaha EP100, CX300'S, a couple of different Denons, Philips 3580, the list goes on a little more. I liked a lot of them but didn't love any, with the CX300  and the Philips coming closest to my ideal sound.

So about a week ago I was on my way to Fry's because I had decided to bite the bullet and shell out for the Monster Turbines. I told a friend this and he said I should try his Auvio phones. Auvio is the Radio Shack house brand and I knew that and laughed at him.

But then I tried them and my jaw dropped. Heavy, thumping bass, smooth midrange, just OK treble but it was exactly the sound I was looking for all this time.

Went directly to Radio Shack and they don't make them anymore, but I found some on ebay and bought 3 pairs from the same seller at 10 bucks each. Hard to believe something this cheap could sound so good. If you're a basshead you owe it to yourself to find a pair of these. I can't find reviews or anything much that acknowledges that these even exist, but they are simply amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back