Query about HDDs
Jan 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by csshih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go for SSD for super fast access!
biggrin.gif

I would wait a year until SSD's become practical for the money. A $150 15gb performance drive isn't suitable for storing music, I'd be much happier with a 1TB drive for 2/3 the price.

Also +1 for staying away from Maxtor, I've had a pretty bad experience with them as well.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

dont go and immediately copy like 500gb of data into it.
let it run and cycle and few days, similar to how we burn in cables and gear.

Absolutely nonsens. HDDs almost never fail within the first few days (<0.1%). If they do, you have found yourself a VERY bad supplier, that didn't treat and/or ship the drives the way they should have been. Also, I fail to see why a failure of any one drive should be a problem: you're supposed to have a backup. At the very least there's is the drive you just copied from...

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #33 of 43
^Besides my music currently is 253GBs.

Not entirely sure how I'll back it up...ATM leaning towards keeping my current library on the 320GB USB drive[but not keeping it up-to-date] and then filling up the internal 250GB and then putting new stuff on the other internal 250 HDD, which is partitioned. Yep, I'll do that; 2 back-ups.

Ask again, formatting.

Also how do you change drive icons.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #34 of 43
I always used NTFS when I was running XP - I had fewer problems than with FAT32. NTFS is read-only on Macs, if that matters to you. I don't know if Linux support is read-write on NTFS - it's been a looong time since I've had to try that!

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #35 of 43
FAT32 only supports up to 4GB files, not that any music will be 100MBs let alone 4GB.

Actually I was wondering if I should do a 'fast' or a 'full' format...being new would it need a full one?

In fact, now I have a Quad-core CPU & 4GBs of RAM doing a full format is probably a lot faster.

edit - Good job I took screenshots and copied title-formatting of my foobar.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #36 of 43
Another vote for internal HDDs.

NTFS is better, apart for non-4Gb-limit, it has some mechanisms for data recovery in case of error, with FAT32 you can have much bigger problems there.

Was commented, but Western Digital is a very very nice brand. Good quality and security of data, fast disks and at a very good price.
WD6400AAKS is a two-plate disc, of 640Gb with monster speeds (I own 3, 2 in RAID). For music a fast-disk is not very important, but better to have a fast one always (you can always install there too the O.S.). And they are not very noisy.
They don't use to fail much as occured to me with Maxtor/Seagates in the past.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 43
I have an external 1 TB MyBook I use for all my media. Works just fine for me. I need another one though. =/

I also have a 320 GB internal and 750 GB internal. I'm looking at a potential upgrade to a WD Velociraptor eventually, but it's not urgent.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #38 of 43
^ Had 2 X WD 250GB 16MB cache SATA HDDs, one was for music, it was lovely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I was wondering if I should do a 'fast' or a 'full' format...being new would it need a full one?

I haven't done a full format since 1998
biggrin.gif

Fast (or quick) format seems to work for me 100% of the time!

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

On a new drive, quick. A full format goes and writes out to most of the partition, and checks for bad sectors. A quick format assumes there aren't bad sectors. Also note that the bad sector check will only do any good if the drive is in a state where you must RMA it or throw it away. AFAIK, all modern drives can remap bad sectors, so even as it gets them, it will seem fine, and you'll have to check SMART to get a clue about it. By the time chkdsk sees a bad sector, it's too late, usually. So, there really isn't an advantage, unless it's an old drive, and you're concerned.

Quote:

In fact, now I have a Quad-core CPU & 4GBs of RAM doing a full format is probably a lot faster.

Nope. The drive is the limiting factor (interface, too, if you use USB).

Quote:

Also how do you change drive icons.

I don't think you do. Do you mean something else?

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #41 of 43
deskyice.jpg

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #42 of 43
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 43
^ I was told how to do it with my USB WD drive, or a method.

In the drive is an autorun.txt w/'[autorun]
icon=flac.ico
label=Storage

along with the relevant icon file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back